Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Like the topic says. I still need to bondo match and vinyl them. Maybe Friday I'll start on that.

[Modified by JokerPassat, 11:30 PM 12/10/2002]

<![CDATA[

Like the topic says. I still need to bondo match and vinyl them. Maybe Friday I'll start on that.

[Modified by JokerPassat, 11:30 PM 12/10/2002]

[Modified by JokerPassat, 11:31 PM 12/10/2002]

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (JokerPassat)

wow! those look great! you really have some skills there mike. who took those excellent pics?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (dan d)

Gee I wonder who smartass! Yes thanks Dan for taking the pictures and hosting them for me. When I need more pictures I know who to talk to. Let me know how long it takes for you to see this thread on dial-up...?

·
Registered
351 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Let me know how long it takes for you to see this thread on dial-up...?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>not funny

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (dan d)

Wow!~ That looks GREAT!
Would you consider making a second set for Norah?

Seriously.

<![CDATA[Wow!~ That looks GREAT!
Would you consider making a second set for Norah?

Seriously.

[Modified by BoeserBlick, 6:22 AM 12/11/2002]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (BoeserBlick)

Let me see how these turn out first but I would definitely consider it. I put them in my car so I could get an idea about the foot room. I laser angled the speaker perfectly but it does take up a little room. Don't worry if you have a 5 speed, they will still work fine, I already tried. Let me get the finished pics on there first and see how these turn out and I'd definitely think about it. Maybe I'll turn into the JonBoy of kickpanels...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I laser angled the speaker perfectly <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

huh? I'm not a big audio guy yet, does this mean you use a laser to aim the speakers? Where? Do you just aim at a center point in the car, or at the driver position? How would you compensate for the different distances from the left and right to the ear?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (bulliboy)

By laser aiming I placed a laser in the center of a 6in ring and aimed it at the listenter's ears opposite and on the other side of the vehicle. Usually it is best just to aim it at the seat belt guide on the B pillar. By going with a kick panel it brings your sound stage more towards the center of the car. With kick panels I can correct time alignment and imaging. If you angle a speaker slightly away from you that in effect is the same as if that speaker aimed at you properly but is further away from you. So say if I was in the driver's seat now I'll be able to hear the passenger speaker clearly being that it is aimed at me and the driver's side kick panel even though it is closer to me it is angled towards the passenger and that angle will give the same effect that it is further away. Now I'm bringing my sound stage to the center of the vehicle where it should be. Its difficult to explain and easier for me to show someone but usually I sell people on kickpanels and just have them sit in a demo vehicle.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (bulliboy)

I guess this is kinda subjective since its what you want to do with your car, but I was under the impression that the sound stage should be for the driver. I guess it depends what you're creating the car for...yourself...or maybe some love for your passenger too.
So, the point of a kickpanel would be to increase the distance from the driver's ear to the source of the sound. Using a passenger side kickpanel would negate that effect, because you've effectively lengthened the distance on that path. And pointing the driver speaker toward the passenger side would just move your soundstage away from you as the driver. If you were to create the soundstage in the center of the car, what's so bad about the OEM setup then? The distance to each speaker from the center of the car is already equal...not the mention the tweeters are already relatively aimed to the center...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (BoeserBlick)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sounds good! I'm first in line. Everyone else... take a number.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be in too if possible!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (stealthx32)

The main reason to install speakers in kick panels is to equalize the distance between the left and right speaker.

If you use a tape measure you will find that a speaker mounted in the drivers door is quite a bit closer to the driver then the speaker in the passenger's door. And vice versa for the passenger.

If you measure the drivers side speaker that has been mounted in the kick panel, you will find that the distance is very close to the distance that the passenger's side kick panel mount speaker is. It's not perfect, but the closest thing to it that the design of a car allows.

If someone can host a small image for me I could show you an exact measurement picture that shows the difference in speaker position.

EDIT: I found a similiar image on crutchfields website:

http://pix.crutchfield.com/graphics/infolib/carlib/spkImaging.gif

<![CDATA[The main reason to install speakers in kick panels is to equalize the distance between the left and right speaker.

If you use a tape measure you will find that a speaker mounted in the drivers door is quite a bit closer to the driver then the speaker in the passenger's door. And vice versa for the passenger.

If you measure the drivers side speaker that has been mounted in the kick panel, you will find that the distance is very close to the distance that the passenger's side kick panel mount speaker is. It's not perfect, but the closest thing to it that the design of a car allows.

If someone can host a small image for me I could show you an exact measurement picture that shows the difference in speaker position.

EDIT: I found a similiar image on crutchfields website:

http://pix.crutchfield.com/graphics/infolib/carlib/spkImaging.gif

[Modified by PassatL0ver, 9:44 PM 12/11/2002]

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (PassatL0ver)

Kickpanels are typically angled. This also puts the listener more on axis with the drivers. I don't have kicks in my car, however I built 20degree angled baffles and noticed a huge lift in the soundstage, the mids come out better, and the vocals are clearer....All because of speaker aiming, and being more on axis. Kicks are a great idea. Now if I could only get myself to consider losing my dead pedal. Speak to those who have done kicks, most of them don't miss the dead pedal at all.

-Mark

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Re: eyecandy... My kick panels in progress... (EuroFan)

im third.....and I have the same interior...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts