Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got an issue that has been bugging me since the temps really started to drop this winter - whenever I'm driving, my windows are severely condensated.

Car Vehicle Mid-size car Automotive exterior Family car

I've tried everything:
-replaced air and pollen filter
-air box is clean
-floor mats are bone dry and free of snow
-recirculate is off
-tried with a/c on

And here's the worst part..once I'm done driving, I'll park the car and wipe down the windows dry and wait for all the humid air to leave the cabin thinking that it might not ice over the next day, but that never works either! Then every time I get in my car, I'll have to scrape the inside of the car before I can even pull out of our parking lot :(

Vehicle Car Volkswagen Compact car Volkswagen passat
Windshield Windscreen wiper Glass Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Someone please help me, or tell me that you're struggling with the same issue! ..I'm a poor college kid not exactly wanting to visit the garage anytime soon :thumbdown

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thats far worse than what I have experienced, but it seems to be a somewhat common issue this winter. A few threads here and on other boards with similar problems. My solution was to pop the sunroof when parked during the day and that has kept the windows clear and dry on the inside. I have not tried this overnight, but my issue seemed to be the sun on the car during the day would create fogging.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I've got this going on on my b5, mostly when I park in the sun during the day and sometimes at night. Keeping the sunroof popped does help... It's very annoying.

There are no water or heater core leaks in my car to my knowledge. Carpets are dry as well. Oh by the way, keeping your recirculation flap closed for the hvac will amplify this effect usually. Not sure if you use it or not, but this winter has been very cold and people tend to keep the recirc closed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you found an answer to this problem? If not, check this thread out. Water ingress problem, still unsolved... HELP!

There are two holes in battery compartment to drain away water, ( I hope Im not telling you something you already know) these holes have a grommet in them which tend to get plugged up with debris. When the water has no conduit to drain away in, it will make it's way into the cabin and subsequently will cause condensation and moisture on the carpet. Check the link above and you'll see what the holes look like and where they are located. Youll also see what the grommets look like clogged with debris. There are other points of water entry, but this is PRIME SUSPECT.

Hope it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.