Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/04/12/weeping.statue.ap/index.html

PERTH, Australia (AP) -- A statue of the Virgin Mary that has been drawing crowds since 2002 when it apparently began weeping rose-scented tears has started crying again, in the week before Easter, its owner said Sunday.

Patty Powell, who bought the statue 10 years ago in Bangkok, said it started shedding tears again on Palm Sunday.

However the city's Catholic Archbishop Barry Hickey ordered her to remove it from the church after an analysis of the "tears" found they were a mixture of vegetable oil and rose oil.

I always wondered why it was called extra virgin olive oil.

guess now I know.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
poohbear said:
I wish I were Catholic. Then I could get into heaven. :cry:
we all want to get into heaven. but god is a vengeful god and he only wants some of his children to enter heaven (apparently).

pick a number and take your chance.

its only just.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
You know... I get this feeling that you are making fun other people's religion in such a way that if anyone calls you out on it, you will say it was a non-inflamatory comment made in jest & that those offended are taking it way too seriously/literally. Kinda like insulting someone but saying its only a joke. I dunno. TBH, I'm Catholic, but I don't find that story offensive in the least. What bugs me is the entertainment you seem to get from finding the flaws in the religion & making fun of them. Do you think that Catholicism (or any other religion) is based on the stuff you like to sensationalize? Its not. The heart of religion is in faith & the inherent goal of doing good.
And If you really think that most Catholics beleive only otehr Catholics can get in to heaven, then you have your head up your ass further than I thought.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
You see Joe, L-W waffles more that Clinton at an IHOP convention on the subject of religion. Religion is oh so evil...except when it suits him to use it to prove a point.

:roll:

(of course this is just me stirring up trouble by calling it as I see it)

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Im Catholic....I was raised in a country that has more churches per capita then any other country in the world...Ive seen it all. When I think of church, I think of profit institution...when I think of religion, I think of war.....

Im not offended by any means BTW.

I dont put my religion in front of other, I dont think my religion is better then yours....to be honest religion causes more bad then good. I find myself being less and less religious....everyday.

My .02 cents.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Anyway you look at it the above women is a con. Maybe shes conning herself also but she is a charlatan and a liar. If she is going to heaven you can keep your religion.

Anyone see the movie Pecker? Edward Furlong, Christina Ricci and others.

"Pecker... Mary is speaking to me!"
"Full of Grace! Full of Grace!"

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
BoeserBlick said:
You know... I get this feeling that you are making fun other people's religion in such a way that if anyone calls you out on it, you will say it was a non-inflamatory comment made in jest & that those offended are taking it way too seriously/literally. Kinda like insulting someone but saying its only a joke. I dunno. TBH, I'm Catholic, but I don't find that story offensive in the least. What bugs me is the entertainment you seem to get from finding the flaws in the religion & making fun of them. Do you think that Catholicism (or any other religion) is based on the stuff you like to sensationalize? Its not. The heart of religion is in faith & the inherent goal of doing good.
And If you really think that most Catholics beleive only otehr Catholics can get in to heaven, then you have your head up your ass further than I thought.
I'm not sure if this is addressed to me, or Linux, or both, but I'll take it. I'm sorry. My intent was never to offend anyone, it was to make you laugh. It is a widely know fact that I suffer from chronic cranial rectitis. :roll: My joke was poorly aimed at the irony of a woman producing a hoax, to gain attention for herself, cloaked in the guise of spirituality. And at the controversy surrounding Mel's latest opus.
I consider myself a spiritual person, not a religious one. If you find joy in Catholicism, I am happy for you. For me, as a logic-minded person who likes to argue, there are too many inconsistencies in almost all forms of organized religion. And too much hypocrisy in the men who lead them. I believe in the golden rule. I believe in empathy for all beings. But, I think that humans are fallable animals and prone to exaggeration and embroidery. And that all of the great books were written by humans.

Bless me father for I have sinned, it has been 11,791 days since my last confession...

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I am not offended ;-P

what passaturbonium wrote... I am from the same county :p

I dont belive in Church I belive in God. I almost lost my faith, but my bro-in-law is going to be priest. He meets with this other priest... This person is awsome... I have to admit that after 3 month of meeting with this priest, I am getting my faith back.
He is one of this person who wont talk about Church. We talk about live and how it connects with Bible, and all the other stuff. He is very open and inteligent. I guess just be talking to him I am getting my faith back ; my wife and I become more and more active in our church.
I have to admit, getting my faith back is an awsome feeling. I am happier every day, and more and more things make sense to me now... :)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
entertainment you seem to get from finding the flaws in the religion & making fun of them.
much the same way I find flaws in EVERYTHING in life and make fun of it.

religion is not a sacred cow to me; its every bit worthy of taking its share of poundings when a pounding is called for.

when politics get out of hand, somone here posts a crazy story about it. or when someone's choice of a car mod gets out of hand, someone posts it. when something unusual happens, it gets posted here for commentary.

so why is religion off-limits? is that what you're suggesting?

its ok to bash bush or clinton or any number of political clowns, but not ok if the line crosses over into the land of myth, legend and make-believe - aka, religion?

I find a lot of things very silly in life. so when I find a particularly silly thing, I post about it. this time it had a religious backdrop. so what? does that mean I'm unfair and zooming in ONTO on these topics?

when silly people do outrageous things, I think its newsworthy and poke-worthy ;)

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Ill chip in on this. I am a catholic and I did get offended with the comments here. I know for a fact religion is hard to teach as it is a personal belief. No one will win when it comes to arguments about Religion but for respect I think its only fair that we dont laugh at other peoples belief. take it for whats its worth but I grew up in a catholic family believing in the Virgin Mary and the Holy Trinity...blah blah blah...and this thread offended me.

I forgive anyone who mad bad comments here though :)

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
You should be more offened by the fraudulent liar representing your religion in Perth than the comments here. What do you think about her Natskiboy?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1) if your faith is strong, nothing I (or anyone else) will post should shake that
2) freedom of expression allows me to display my religious views just like you can display yours
3) profit!!!

(oops. strike #3. I'm not an official religion, so I don't have tax-exempt status like the big boys do).

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Spirare said:
You should be more offened by the fraudulent liar representing your religion in Perth than the comments here. What do you think about her Natskiboy?
Think about who? im not here to argue about my beliefs, I just expressed my point. Just like this topic doesnt change my belief either.

chill

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
natskiboy said:
Spirare said:
Think about who? im not here to argue about my beliefs, I just expressed my point. Just like this topic doesnt change my belief either.

chill
I didn't ask you to argue your beliefs. Goodness I'm not even challenging them. Do what makes you happy! I asked you to comment on the topic. I'm chill. I'm just curious what an avowed Catholic thinks about the article above detailing a woman who claims that a statue crys... rose oil. It seems to me that she is a charlatan. Do you agree?

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Spirare said:
I'm just curious what an avowed Catholic thinks about the article above detailing a woman who claims that a statue crys... rose oil. It seems to me that she is a charlatan. Do you agree?
Hmmm... interesting. As a practicing Catholic, I suppose I can comment as well. I never even heard of this crying statue before. Statues are very prevalent in Catholic churches & many catholic homes. They serve as symbols, visual representation, and/or artistic renderings of saints, important figures, and even visual depictions of God. They are by no means the pysical manifestations of the faith. they are symbols plain & simple. Much like the Vietnam Memorial, the Statue of Liberty, the American Flag, or even tatoos.
Its sad that this woman took advantage of people's faith to gain any type of attention or notoriety. She would be no better than those people that dupe others, whether it be to con people out of money, or simply just to get attention, or PR. But the fact that it may have been a hoax shouldn't shake their faith in God or religion. If anything, it should shake your faith in your fellow man. Personally, like I said, statues & such are just symbols... I put my faith in God, not statues.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm hesitant to engage in this touchy thread but I will share my own personal experience without judging anyone elses...

My wife is (was) Catholic and she agrees that the catholic church (e.g. the pope and co.) are mysogenistic and hypocritical. That said, there are far more positive things about the religion than negative. I agree with BoeserBlick that most mainstream Catholics regard the teachings as guidance toward being a "good person" and not absolutes (like holding the opinion that everyone else is doomed to burn in hell like that PUTZ Mel Gibson thinks).

I have many close friends who are great people and consider themselves good catholics (just not by the Pope's or Mel's standards!). As for my wife...well...she just couldn't reconcile sticking with her faith any longer given the church's views on non-catholics, women, birth control, gays (especially since the diddler priests here in MA seem to outnumber the honest ones). She finds the whole kissing the Pope's ring thing very offensive as well (and I agree). I mean...he's not god.

Anyway...I agree with some of you who distrust religious "institutions." They lend themselves to abuse. But I also agree with those of you who continue to have FAITH...because the common denominator of most religions is civility and trying to be a better human being.

I honestly WISH I had more faith than I do. The hardships in life would be much easier to take. I'm spiritual, but my personal sense of "god" is more akin to what most of you think of as "mother nature." I guess I just don't see there being some dude up there in flowing robes answering our prayers...wish I did....it'd be much easier to cope. On the other hand, I belive in something like Karma...(e.g. if you're good to others it will benefit you and if you're not...it'll come back to haunt you!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts