Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been discussed but I cannot find the thread(s) re the issue whether a replacement ECU on an AWM engine (2003) needs some sort of vagcom code before it will work.

In other words, if I have a Wett chip with soldered socket on my OE ECU and I want a second non socketed OE ECU to put in for "special occasions", can I just swap the circuit boards (assuming I have the correct one for my car) or must I do something with a vagcom once the new one is in situ before it will work?

Thanks,

Slider.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Provided both ECUs are the SAME IDENTICAL part number, and they are both coded for your type of tranny, you don't have to do any swapping other than the entire ECU. If you want to put your stock chip back in your socketed, Wett-chipped ECU, then you have to open the box.

If the two ECUs are not the same part number, don't even bother trying to make them compatable. If one of them is coded for a different tranny, you'll need a VAG-Com or VAG Tool to code it for your tranny type.

HTH

Kenny

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kenny,

Yes, I knew that the second ecu had to be the same part number and from a car w/ the same type of transmission (manual). I am familiar with the procedure for swapping the Wett and OE chips on my current socketed board and even though I don't swap them often, I am a little concerned that each time they are swapped the pins which are soldered to the board bend a little and could eventually break off.

atomicalex,

That is what I was concerned about. Don't all north american B5.5s (e.g. my 2003) have the immobilizer system? Isn't the immobilizer the chip in the key that "communicates" with the car to alow the car to be turned on?

If so, how does one find the code to ones car and how does one then code the new ecu to the same code?

Thanks!

Slider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.