Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post to the main forum!

I just got my Passat last week, taking over my dad's payments, so I got a pretty good deal. The only real out-of-the-ordinary problem with it is the rust on the exterior driver's side rear B pillar, where it's actually got a small perforation. Apparently this is considered trim, and not body, and therefore not covered under the perforation warranty. So I figure I'll have to get it replaced myself, to avoid further damage.

Where would I look for this? I've seen one or 2 on ebay, but I'd really prefer a parts place.

How would I go about it? I've seen a video on replacing the door C pillar, but the B pillar seems a bit trickier. Should I just take it to a VW mechanic and have them do it?

Here's a pic:

Vehicle door Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Door handle

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thought I'd update on the fix. I went to the dealership and that part I linked (part #3B0 839 901 H 041) is the exact part I need, and the dealership wanted $105! Needless to say, I went the ebay route instead. So now the question is, anyone know how to get at the part? How much might it cost to just have a body shop do it for me? And can that chrome trim be damaged by removal?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,880 Posts
have you considered going to a junkyard/auto recycler for that part? I'm sure that it can probably be had for less than $25.

WRT pulling it to replace it, I've never seen one that needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the convenience of getting it shipped right to my house (and not having to remove it from a junkyard car's door), it's worth the $15 more it cost brand new (ebay). I can't seem to find anything at all online about pulling it, would a service manual have something like this?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please let me know what the parts look like and how it was to deal with them. i have this exact same problem and have been trying to find the parts cheaper than dealer.
Here is a detailed step by step on the process. with pics.

VWVortex.com - DIY outer door pillar removal B5.5

cheers.
I think I saw that DIY when I was doing research on this. It's a different pillar (since mine's the rear inner one, rather than the front outer), but I suppose it could have been just as easy. In any case, I ended up taking the part and the lower chrome door trim to the shop that did my trunk lid (under warranty :D), and had them do it for less than a hundred bucks. So worth it.

Come to think of it though, the front outer b-pillar needs doing someday; there's a rust bubble under the paint. That DIY will definitely come in handy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
They're pretty much exactly the same, just mirrored. The left front pillar cover is actually the same part as the right rear. And the right front is the same part as the left rear.
I assume the part came well and was easy to deal with the seller on ebay?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.