Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2001 Z3 today with 33000 miles on it. The dealer (BMW) is trying to sell me on buyiing a vehicle service contract. It will cover the car for an additional 5 years or up to 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The cost is $1641.00. The contract is called Easy Care Vehicle Service Contract administered by Aurtomobile Protection Corp. In the past I've alwas passed on these things, but he's telling me that BMW's are very expensive to work on and that just taking care of an A/C problem could almost pay for it. Knowing an insurance company has all the angles figured out I passed on it for now, but am having second thoughts. Anyone have any experience good or bad with this company and what do you car owners think of these contracts in general.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
DO NOT BUY IT FROM THE DEALERSHIP! Do some research. There are a number of places on-line. If you do a search on this topic in Ahything Auto you'll find this was discussed recently...it should prove helpful.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I refunded my easy care blue, but that's because I hate my stealership :evil: there's a few boxes on that contract they can check that will screw you if not careful :wink: (thank goodness for the NY clause)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you are worried about maintenance costs on a BMW, maybe it wasn't the right purchase for you.
Why wasn't it a CPO car, if you bought it from a BMW dealer? It is within the guidelines (mileage/age), no?

·
Registered
941 Posts
If it makes you sleep better then buy it 8) . At least the contract you mention comes from a good company located in Atlanta. They have been around for many years. I don’t know if they are still owned by Ford or not. But APCO is a decent outfit. I worked with them many times and they stand behind their product. I don’t know who insures them… however in today’s atmosphere anything goes :nervous:

Is it a NEW or USED car contract? The vehicle your buying has a manufacturers warranty of 4/50. Depending on their underwriting guidelines you may not be getting such a good deal. Find out when the warranty DATE not mileage starts. Does it start the day YOU buy the car or is it back dated to the original in service date. If it gets back dated you may only be getting a year or two (depending on the in service date). Also check if the F&I :poke: person is selling you an "extended service contract" or an "MBI policy". Find out now! Later may be too late!
Remember one thing… When it comes to extended warranty pricing…. Its whatever the market will bear… Chew down the price as much as possible!

CHECK IT OUT FIRST!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts