Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a 2002 GLX with 42K miles on it. I haven't had an ounce of trouble with it, but am quickly coming up on that 50,000 end-of-warranty mark. My car is leased until December of 2005, and I think that there is at least a 50% chance that I will purchase this car after the lease is up.

The questions of the day:
1. Should I buy a factory extended warranty?
2. How well do the newer Passat's stand up over time?
3. What is a reasonable price to pay?
4. In California, are there any other options aside from the factory extended warranty?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Allen

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've heard a lot of slack on here about 1source, but I bought it before I'd heard the reviews on here and it has paid off tremendously. I bought the car with 45k on it. I got the warranty shortly thereafter. I paid $1600 for a diamond package with 0 decductible. I'm at about 85k now and my warranty company is wishing they never met me. They have paid over $2300 bucks in repairs to my car(including 400 for a heated seat. How many warranties will pay that kind of dough for a heated seat?) I only wish I had gotten the 150k warranty. I only got the 100 because I didn't think I'd put 40k on a car in a year. I'd guess that I've paid a few hundred in repairs myself that the warranty didn't cover(hoses, etc). That 's also not including brakes, oil changes, filters, etc.

Now, that being said, my car is very much stock(unfortunately). I've heard that they are not mod friendly. I don't have any personal experience with that. I do know for a fact that they don't pay tax on your repair.

So, if you plan on keeping your car maintained(serious repairs) at the dealer, and you're stock, you can't go wrong with 1source. But, if you've got a good reasonably priced Indy, maybe you could go without it. I know one thing. I will NEVER get another nice car(that I want to keep nice) without a good extended warranty. Remember, all this is just IMHO,

Jonathan

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you can afford warranty, get it. I have gotton my warranty company to pay over $2000 in repairs and I spent $1500 on the warranty!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just purchased mine yesterday for 1700 bucks.
It will take me to 110,000. miles and covers basically EVERYTHING.
I did this through "national auto service" through the dealer.
It took me 3 weeks to decide....
I checked all the others on line and the one the dealer offered beat them all out on price and coverage.
You may think 1700 is a lot, but IMO piece of mind is priceless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
MattinPismo
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing