Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"upgraded" to 225/50/16 Conty Extreme Contact on Friday (if you were expecting some 9-10" wide my apologies, nothing that exiting here, but please read on...)

considering that pair of my old 215/55/16 OEM Conty's still have about 40% of life left in them :crazy: me got only pair in new size for now. Yes, it's official, I'm cheap.
Meanwhile it seems like it's gotten me a poor man' sway bar mod - installed on the front wider tires really reduce understeer just by right amount. It still understeers a bit when pushed, but much better then OEM setup. Also had a lot of fun trying wider rears - wow, it's like car actually steering in the turn with back tires but very unpredictable and twitchy. It maybe nothing new to some, but found some good organised info HERE

With all that I'm a little uneasy about grippy, softer compound fronts and more generic rears. Does anyone have some suggestions/warnings? ABS doesn't have a problem with that setup (not tested on the wet roads yet). Am I safe to run old tires till their end or just get 2 more of the Extremes and save for the real sway bar? Keep different sizes but same type of tire? Oh, yeah, I'm still on stock suspension so take all my road testing easy - no triple digits were brocken during test runs :wink: .
(edited for correct tire size)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
For the best handling, you want to have all four tires matching. If you must mix, I would put the newer tires in the rear and the old tires in the front. This will cut down on the chance for oversteer, which is harder to control than understeer. But again, if you can get all 4 new tires.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the best handling, you want to have all four tires matching.
Thanx for the responce, Clay
All 4 would be in when I'm done playing. I totally agree that it's the right way to go. It's just with some of the guys here running pretty wide rears and some attending race track every once in a while I was trying to get some points of view on what appears to be pretty legit handling correction tool. It was also interesting to me that wider rears actually made characteristics of the car FUBAR - I guess folks that running wide rears compensate for it with the rear bar.
:thumbup: :b5: Keep them responces coming....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
UA_Variant
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing