Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BFG G-Force T/A Sport ?

Looking to buy a summer tire that works ok in the rain, and also will be used (maybe 2 times a year?) for occasional track time. I have SO-3's right now, great grip and great in the rain, but too expensive to be replaced every 14 to 15K miles. Anyone with experience with the Falkens, BFGs, or Sumitomos ? They are all much cheaper than my current tire, and from what I have read on the net (cept for the G-Force Sports, have not seen ANY info on these tires) they seem to be decent performance tires.

The car is a B5 S4, so pretty heavy and driven pretty conservatively on the road, but of course gets beat up a lot more on the track. I have snow tires for the winter, so I don't need an all season tire.

Thanks for any info or advice you all may have!

Jonathan

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Andy! Please let me know if you do sometime soon.. Hoping to get some new tires by the end of the summer, the SO-3's are looking a bit bald (well, not too bad, but not good when it rains a lot!).

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i had the Falkens you're asking about.

I am NOT a fan of Falken at all, but they were brand new when i got the rims, and they ended up being free (depending on how you look at it).

My first intention was to use them for a little bit then put on some "good" rubber.

However, i was pleasantly surprised. They grip pretty damn good in the dry, and are VERY good in the wet. I was impressed.

They're of medium wear, and get a little noisier as they wear down. Also, because of their tread pattern, they aren't exactly the quietest of tire to begin with.

But they're certainly not a bad tire.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just tested the BFGoodrich GForce Sport on the track. It was a bit above average for the performance level it is in. For the price point I think it is an excellent value tire. Between it and the Sumitomo I would choose the BFGoodrich.
Cool, thanks for the input Clay, so many tires out there, hard to choose 1 set :p

Jonathan

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TwoLitreVW said:
i had the Falkens you're asking about.

I am NOT a fan of Falken at all, but they were brand new when i got the rims, and they ended up being free (depending on how you look at it).

My first intention was to use them for a little bit then put on some "good" rubber.

However, i was pleasantly surprised. They grip pretty damn good in the dry, and are VERY good in the wet. I was impressed.

They're of medium wear, and get a little noisier as they wear down. Also, because of their tread pattern, they aren't exactly the quietest of tire to begin with.

But they're certainly not a bad tire.
Awesome, thanks for your input!! I don't mind noise much (my SO-3's are notorious for being noisy as hell) but sounds like the Falkens are the kind of tire I am looking for; fairly inexpensive, good wet and dry traction, and they can't be worse than the SO-3s as far as wear is concerned.

Now to decide and actually buy a set hmmmmmm...

Jonathan

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Choices choices, I think I have narrowed my selection down to the Yokohama AVS ES 100s, Falken GRB FK-451s, and BFG G-Force T/A Sports. With all the rain we have been getting lately, I might have to buy a set sooner than I thought!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i've heard nothing but the same thing about the es100, great in the beginning then they turn to sh!t quickly. get really noisy, wear faster, lose wet grip very fast with wear. right now i'm looking at the bridgestone re750 for 17". if my t1s wear fast (so far they arent which makes them cheaper in the long run), i'll try the re750 or fk451 or maybe a hi-po allseason like the proxes 4. the es100 are less than the re750 so i guess that explains this. but if i upgrade to 18" i dont think i could afford the tires like hi-po summer only tires unless edgeracing keeps having their tire sales.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couldn't get the Falkens at the price I wanted, so went with Fuzion ZRi's, so far so good... Decent grip, not too loud (yet). Not as grippy as the SO-3's, but much much cheaper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.