Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth going with a catback system on 1.8t's? or is the stock pipeing adaquet enough for the engine flow

I'm basically trying to justify spend money on a cat-back system vs. just a higher-flow muffler

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have a Brullen 2.5" cat-back exhaust (APR Stage 1 chip) & am happy with it. I think the Down-pipe issue really depends on how much HP you squeeze out of the engine.

For stock & stage 1 chips, I think the stock downpipe will probably be fine, but for anything with more power, you will definately benfit from a smoother downpipe.
When I installed my new downpipe I was suprised to see the factory downpipe had a visible bend/ripple in it that obviously created turbulance in the exhaust system.

One word of warning: The downpipe is a PITA to remove/install - If you're doing the work yourself, you may want to avoid this.
Also, there really isn't room for a 3" downpipe (although some folks have them) but that isn't beneficial unless you have stage 3.

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong on this. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
removing dp is worse if you have a tip. you will notice a big diff w/ exhaust especially if you're chipped. i'd say either get the full system or nothing at all. no point in getting a high-flow muffler.

try finding a system used, it'd your best way of spending $$$.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts