Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's time to replace the exhaust on the Brick - resonator is rusted thru, and the hole is growing. :(

Bosal is cheap, yes - but, also (usually) mild steel, and that stuff doesn't live very long in Michigan.
Walker resonator + muffler (aluminized, I think? pipes) is ~$375 from Rock Auto. I know it'll sound & fit like stock.
TT aluminized system (w/ Magnaflow stainless muffler) is $355. This is cheaper, and a bunch lighter (no resonator.)

My question to the collective: Has anyone run the Techtonics exhaust? How's the sound - livable for a daily-driven family hauler (read: Wife Acceptance Factor is favorable)?
I'm (generally) not opposed to a hearty exhaust (see: Scirocco 16v, TT/Borla exhaust), but, on the wagon, I don't want to hear the exhaust at every dividing wall or passing shrubbery.....

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Hopefully someone with a Techtonics-equipped 1.8T can comment. My only marginally relevant experience is that I once owned a turbocharged/water injected Datsun 510 with a single "Corvair Turbo" muffler, no resonator, and the sound was very mellow, because the turbine damps the high-frequencies pretty nicely. You might also ask at VWVortex, which seems to be more of a modifier's site than PassatWorld.

Does Techtonics have any user's comments or videos to give you an idea?

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,615 Posts
that stuff doesn't live very long in Michigan.
That's why every summer I apply high-temp paint on the entire exhaust system and after 17 years it has no rust at all even with huge amount of salt on Michigan roads.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
let us 1.8 owners from the rust belt know what you get and fitment issues if any..........rusting away here in Ohio,thanks in advance Chief

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,615 Posts
Emry, great idea! I just may start doing that myself as we have similar issue in Minnesota.TomK
If you choose doing that, just buy high-temperature spray can (silver) from Walmart ($4). Sand and clean and then apply 2 coats and you are good to go.:thumbup:

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
TT should also sell a resonated version (that's actually what the picture shows) that would be better choice for your wife. I had one person with a TT non-res setup and I could hear him coming from over a block away.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
High (>180K) mileage - go with aluminized and clean/paint every 2 yrs or more often.

Low (<140K) mileage - get the TT stainless with a resonator.

If mileage is in between, flip a coin and hope for the best.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TT should also sell a resonated version (that's actually what the picture shows) that would be better choice for your wife. I had one person with a TT non-res setup and I could hear him coming from over a block away.
Yeah, I missed that in the picture. Description doesn't note it, and it's easy to overlook the bulge of the resonator.

Still, notes of first-hand experience from others would be appreciated, before I pull the trigger on it.... :)

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
How about this: When I heard my friend coming over, my 1st thought was "Who is that in the Honda with a fart can?"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts