Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
exhaust side of turbo rusted / welded together, any ideas on separating it?

ive tried wd40 to no avail hit with copper hammer, an can i heck get it to separate,
i have sticking vanes an wanted to strip an clean inners, but just cant get the dam thing apart

1998 1.9tdi 110bhp afn engine,

any help please, thanks in advance

·
Registered
564 Posts
exhaust side of turbo rusted / welded together, any ideas on separating it?

ive tried wd40 to no avail hit with copper hammer, an can i heck get it to separate,
i have sticking vanes an wanted to strip an clean inners, but just cant get the dam thing apart

1998 1.9tdi 110bhp afn engine,

any help please, thanks in advance
WD40 won't do anything. You could try PB Blaster and some heat to loosen it up. If you have air tools you could also try an air hammer with a flat-faced bit like this: bits to vibrate it to loosen the rust.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,612 Posts
edited out the link

Reactions: keithwbloom

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Use some good penetrant like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. And use a steel chisel and/or hammer.

For those nuts/bolts that are "rustwelded" together, try tightening the fastener to "wake up" those threads before attempting to loosen them...works almost every time. If it doesn't, out comes the Makita with a 4" cut-off wheel...

... LINK IT LED TO A BUNCH OF POPUP WINDOWS
nice edit there :lol:

Good Luck

·
Registered
784 Posts
i used the AGCO panther penetrating oil when i did my timing belt to take off the crank pulley. it works fast, but then again it would have to to penetrate a panther :icon_eek:. WD40 is a water displacement formula that happens to loosen rusty things, its not a penetrating oil by design. a little panther oil, a little heat, a little time, a little more happy.

"AGCO Panther Penetrating Oil (79016936) is designed to help take the bite out of loosening stubborn hardware seizures. This thicker formula includes graphite to lubricate after the propellant has evaporated. The foaming action helps breakdown rust and corrosion plus distribute the graphite for ease in hardware removal."

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Just tell the local parts store you need "penetrating oil"; there are a bunch of different brands out there... all of them are way better than WD-40.

And, is the car running right now? If so, there's your heat source. Soak with penetrating oil, wait ten minutes or so, run until it starts to profusely smoke (shouldn't take long at all), and you are all set.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The turbo is off the car, after a night of soaking wd40 an a whole lot of persuasion today with a copper hammer it finally came apart, Full of black soot , but I've spun the exhaust side an can hear a slight scrapping sound, probs on its way out, any ideas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts