Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the passengers head, runs great. I know I torqued the manifold bolts, it was in my lap when I did it, I just popped off the heat shield and still feel no air from the manifold. Is there something disconnected buy the pump I hear when I start the car? Or vacuum line nit closing a cave or something? I just can’t see or hear exactly what’s up.

2002 2.8 passat

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Do you have the SAIP air hose that connects in the front of the engine just to the inside of the right bank cylinder head.
Plastic PCV hose that crosses from the right bank valve cover to the rear left corner of the engine? This is the black plastic hose/tube that passes right behind the coil pack.
Kombi valve and it's piping?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All t hff e houses seem connected. I replaced that long one since I broke it on disassembly.

I started it and took a towel and covered the manifold, still sounds like it's by the alternator. Still looking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the heat shield off I can put my hand all around the front of the exhaust manifold and feel no air and no change in sound.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Stupid question, how did you tighten the 3 exhaust nuts on the down pipe to the exhaust manifold?
The one the bottom side of the down pipe is almost impossible to get access to even from underneath.
As insane as it may sound, trying to remove the down pipes is just one of the major reasons I don't mess with it, I just pull the engine with everything attached to it.
And yes I've pulled the engine/transmission for some pretty trivial things. But then again I have been fortunate with the capability of doing such things.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I put the intake on I could get to it. I thought it was leaking there so I pulled the intake again and put in a new gasket,

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Before I put the intake on I could get to it. I thought it was leaking there so I pulled the intake again and put in a new gasket,
Well I guess that rules that out.
How about a crack in the flex pipe?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put a heater hose to my ear and it is loudest by the front of the head next to the cam pulley. How is that possible?

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Was the front plug for the combi valve put in the head? Since the heads can be reversed, there is a port on both the front and back of the head.

Also check the SAIP hose at the pump. It may have been dislodged when the head was removed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No shit? Guess I’m pulling the cover, I bet that’s it, I didn’t even think to check before I put it together, tats exactly where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Was the front plug for the combi valve put in the head? Since the heads can be reversed, there is a port on both the front and back of the head.
Wow, good call. I didn't even consider that. But it sure is possible. Unless the head was 'boiled out' why would somebody remove that plug?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to RIP it apart again to verify this, if it is the case what are my options? I really don't want to RIP the head off and send it back. Question I guess is, can I thread that hole, put in a brass plug? And if I pull the kombi valve and that side is plugged what are the ramifications?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Well after thinking about this for a bit, at least you don't have the heads on reversed of what they were before you took them off, or at least I hope.
If the shop didn't take out or replace the coolant plugs, you would be leaking coolant faster than what you could put in.

Before you rip the head off, remove the meatal cover behind the cam pulley.
Look at the hole where the arrow is, that is the hole that plugs the opposite end of the Kombi valve circuit. There should a ball bearing set down into the hole. I think it's a 10mm (.394) ball bearing. If the ball bearing is missing, well then you've found your problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am starting to take it apart now, what options to I have to plug it if this is the case? I really don’t want to send the head back if I can fix it on the car. Also, if the back kombi hole is plugged can I leave it? Is it just going to run rough when it’s cold and throw a code?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I'll try this a second time. Tried posting before and PassatWorld just disappeared. :mad:

Now that would be your problem right there. If it were me I would clean out the hole, push a ball bearing in there (10mm - .394) I think, and then push in some high temp RTV sealant on top of the ball bearing so it it'll keep in place should it ever decide to get loose. Do you by any chance have caliper to measure the hole diameter?

Still am dying to know why that ball is missing now.

As far as the Kombi valve goes, if it is plugged I'm guessing you'll get a CEL. Long term I don't know what kind of damage could occur to the cat's.

Can you check the back 'port' with a wire to see if it is plugged before you put it all back together?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What found was that the port fir the kombi on both sides is straight through. I was able to use a 18” long 1/4” extension, insert it in the post if the old head and pop out the ball bearing and tap it into the new head, exhaust leak fixed! Runs and sounds great.

Thanks for all the help, especially to PZ for calling the open port.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts