Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, 2000 1.8T tiptronic

APR 93 octane, 710n diverter valve, TT 2.5" catback exhaust, downpipe, and high flow cat.

The sound of the exhaust is really nice it isn't as loud as what I had anticipated it would be. At highway speeds there is a slight rumble, but nothing annoying. The problem came at about 90 mph the car started to jump between about 4000 and 6000 rpm. The tach was bouncing back and forth so I backed off. Then I decided I would see if it would do it again which it did at about 90mph again. This time I floored it and it just took off, but when I hit about 125mph it did the same thing again.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on? It wasn't doing this prior to the exhaust being installed.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If this happens while your shifter is in D, it could be torque converter unlocking....due to the motor's above-stock power output.....may not happen when in tip mode.

·
Registered
504 Posts
...so does 'sport mode/old strategy' tip programming not really cure this? does it help the condition at all (maybe afte several occurances as mentioned in the referenced thread) ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure if its a down shifting issue. I can get well over 100mph thats not the problem because its doing it at 90 and then again at 120. If I keep accelerating from that point it goes away. I haven't tried it in tip yet to see if it goes away. A few times while reving it up while parked it almost sounded like it back-fired, but it hasn't done that since. Overall, it seems to drive well and it feels like it has a bit more power.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car still seems to be doing this and it is always at the same speed when it occurs. It wasn't doing it when it was first chipped would the minimal incease in hp from the exhaust install be enough to cause the torque converter to disengage?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts