Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am not particularly handy but like to at least diagnose problems when they come up with my 2000 Passat b5 1.8t. The other day I noticed a loud noise coming from the exhaust so I knew there was a leak under there, upon further inspection i noticed a bracket had popped off and took a part of the exhaust pipe with it. Repairing that is straight forward enough (I think) but it would appear that there is also another part missing and I am not sure what that part would be. It looks like there are holes for something to be mounted in there, but what that is I do not know. I have attached a picture and would love some feedback if anyone has any tips or advice. Auto part Pipe Steel Metal

In the photo you can see the bracket that has come off on the left leaving a hole in the exhaust and on the right there is what appears to be something missing (it is covered in oil and quite a mess)

Thank you in advance for any help!

· Registered
4,327 Posts
Your downpipe, when new, had a bracket welded where that ~18mm x 28mm hole is.

If you can't find the portion of bracket (along with the attached hardware) that used to be there, you'll need a new downpipe and some other parts, possibly a new bracket.

Downpipe Part #s: 8D0 253 301 CB (Manual Transmission); 8D0 253 301 BB (Tiptronic Transmission)

PM your email address and I'll send the ETKA file that has part numbers for Gas Tank, Lines, Exhaust System, Heater, etc. (size: 1.08MB) as I don't believe they are still available in the Information Base. (Links show up but time out before access)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton for the responses.
The car has just under 400,000 kms on it and I am looking to get another 10 or so before replacing it (it will be a sad day!), would it be a mistake to just weld the bracket that is there back on and seal the exhaust, the exhaust is structurally in good shape.

Thanks again for the responses!!

· Registered
1,953 Posts
The car has just under 400,000 kms on it and I am looking to get another 10 or so before replacing it (it will be a sad day!), would it be a mistake to just weld the bracket that is there back on and seal the exhaust, the exhaust is structurally in good shape.

Thanks again for the responses!!
If it were mine I would do just that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.