Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 02 passat sw with a 1.8t. For the past month I have smelled fumes in my cabin when the heat is on. Checked under the hood for injector seal leakage but it's bone dry. Also the cowl seal is in good shape. Of course when it's in recirculation mode I don't smell it but after a while my windows end up fogging. Any suggestions on where I should look?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I wonder what the heat has to do with it... the heat/vs. no-heat flapper is inside the passenger compartment. Unless you push "Recirc" it's fresh air, hot or cold.

Are you sure you aren't smelling coolant due to a heater core leak? Any dampness on the carpet, or your windshield filming over?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Another potential cause is when the PCV parts attached to the block crumble from age and fall apart. Then crankcase gasses get released under the hood and the cabin air intake can breathe them in. A catch-can venting into the engine bay can have similar results.

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
Injector seals would cause a gas smell, but not an exhaust smell. On the 1.8T, a cracked plastic tube on the PCV is the most common issue.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Injector seals would cause a gas smell, but not an exhaust smell. On the 1.8T, a cracked plastic tube on the PCV is the most common issue.
x2 (maybe 3 from previous posting), the most you'd get from an injector seal leak is a tiny amount of residue around the afflicted injector. Haven't ever seen injector seals as issue to any stock or chipped car. Usually becomes another issue for bigger turbo folk.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fuel line to injector rail fitting leak at temps below 25F is a sort of well known problem. See this thread: 2000 V6 leaking fuel line at fuel rail

Remove plastic cover on top of engine, idle for a few minutes on a cold morning then feel the fitting between the rubber supply line and fuel rail. The leak weeps enough gas to wet your finger but not enough to see any dripping.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, follow up on what Dan_N suggests. This just happened to my 2003 V6. But, does this happen to the 1.8t also? I'd guess yes as the lines used must be somewhat similar in materials and quality, but most of the posts I've seen here on this issue concern the ATQ V6 motor. But, worth checking out if you have a gas odor coming into the car.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
If the smell is like exhaust gasses, look for breaks in the PCV system. If the smell is like gasoline, look for fuel hose or fitting leaks. Two different smells with two different causes.

·
Over 400K miles on my baby!
684 Posts
If its exhaust smell, it could be the Combi valve AKA EGR, there is a brass plug in the valve that can wear out especially if you have been running with a vacuum leak. I had this happen on mine some time ago. Once the engine is warmed up, look down on passenger side of engine, just above the exhaust pipe, you might hear some light fluttering noise, if so just replace the valve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts