Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since our buyout from a foreign company last year, things here have totally changed. This little company is no longer "fun" to work with... everyone is always grumpy, the new people are clueless, and management from Europe has no real idea what we really do, and how to get it done here in the US.

I love what we do, and believe in the products, but with the announcement of our main (only) software guy quitting... it definitely feels like a sinking ship. No matter how much I bail water, things are going down.

Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
yep. i bailed out before it got really bad. i worked at the same undisclosed audi dealership parts warehouse for 8 years. it started getting slow so they started firing people and moving people around (this started happening under new management as well) but then when business picked up we didnt have the staff to fulfill the customers needs and instead of hiring new people or old people back they tried to squeeze what they could out of the same few people and then cut back overtime and lunch breaks, thats management? i'm glad i saw it coming and bailed, i still talk to a lot of guys there and they still put up with the same crap and now i'm very happily employed with a new career ahead of me :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
I can relate. I worked for a company for 30 years that was very people oriented, but not very good at running a competitive business (it was a public utility). When deregulation happened (not a good thing in my view), they sold the generation side to a big company. The new management knew how to make money, but they don't have a clue how to treat people (of course, I suppose that depends on where you sit in this company). Many of the best people have bailed out. Oh well, that is American business today I suppose.

Regards, Ray

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
I've been in that situation 3x :(

Use your time to create a killer resume and send it to everyone and their dog. Get out as soon as you can to preserve your sanity. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
brianj1591 said:
Ever since our buyout from a foreign company last year, things here have totally changed. This little company is no longer "fun" to work with... everyone is always grumpy, the new people are clueless, and management from Europe has no real idea what we really do, and how to get it done here in the US.

I love what we do, and believe in the products, but with the announcement of our main (only) software guy quitting... it definitely feels like a sinking ship. No matter how much I bail water, things are going down.

Can anyone relate?
oh, restructuring, how
I love thee!

The small chain of music stores I worked for here in Richmond (2 stores in Richmond, 2 near VA Beach) got bought out by (here i will use a similar, yet diff. name of a Frederick, MD- based national chain to avoid lawsuits) Fusic nad Marts bought out the company and they had a meeting to discuss the turnover since as an employee of an Incoroporation I had a say in the matter (of course it was at 9 in the morning on a school day when I was in highschool). The store was laid-back, the manager was flexible and the coworkers were alright. Then it turned into chaod central- we had a dress code (yeah, in a music store, button-down collared shirts, slacks, polished shoes!) inflexible hours, crappy pay. Then out of five or six employees at one store, three of us quit within two weeks, business has slumped, the remaining employees hate it and the manager is desperate for more employees. haha, down the crapper.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I worked for a publishing company, with about 125 employees, owned by Pearson. They sold off our company to a large Dutch company. The new president came to us at a company meeting and said, "Everybody has a job. Let me repeat myself, everybody has a job." A month later, my whole printshop was laid off (a business decision :suspicio: ) There are maybe 3 original employees sitll with the company, and most newsletters have been killed or absorbed by other publications.

cliff notes, I was pushed off a sinking ship, with a nice severence (6 months pay) Hired next day doing less, making more. :bow: Thank you Dutch!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I've been through it a couple of times, all as a manager of some sort.

If anything, I learned more - and can appreciate a solid company - since I have been through some nad times at others.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Agree with above. There is nothing more depressing than a hopeless situation, and being powerless to fix it.

On the other hand, you should at least do what you can, if possible to see if you, yourself, can improve the situation. While you are looking for other things, of course, just in case.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I worked for a small engineering company that 1) stopped being able to make payroll 2) stopped paying their leases on the company vehicles 3) stopped paying into the 401k (without telling anyone but continued to deduct the funds from the paychecks) 4) stopped paying our insurance but NEVER TOLD US. 5) stppoed paying our payroll taxes 6) stopped paying unemployment...

These idiots were so stupid that they would print memos on the backs of fiscal reports that contradicted what we were told in staff meetings. I collected all sorts of info on them and socked it away. I copied my bosses hard drive onto the server (I was IT there) and burned copies to give the IRS and New Jersey Dept of Labor and Dept of Taxation. I used all these materials to EXTORT MY BACK PAY AND the benefits they were suppsoed to pay but lied about. I didn't get more than I was due but I wll admit I extorted them.

I had a lot invested in this company as I was one of the first employees. I held on as long as I could fianlly got all my money and demanded a layoff. I tipped off the IRS on the owner as his two daughters, both at Boston College, were living out of our payroll account while we were getting raped (tuition, Mercedes leases phone bills etc..), his wife's alimony ($3,800 per month) was getting paid out of our payroll account. His daughters were audited and now have a massive tax debt for unclaimed income (the tuition payments and car leases). Dad is in Jail. The company was bought out. I RAN LIKE THE WIND once I got my money...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ah yes… I too have found myself shuffling deck chairs on the titanic!
Excuse me as I have to go move some chairs around again… :roll:
I wonder if Ill get any severance after 6 years :roll:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I worked for a bus 2 bus marketing comapany and our biggest account pulled out. We knew things were bad, just not how bad. We thought that people were being laid off. Turns out they were quitting, right after their paycheck bounced. Found that out when a womans husband came in and lifted the owner up out of his chair and threw him into a wall as they had just had 3 checks mailed back to them.

It went from 25 -> 4 people in 2 months, 2 of those were the owner and his wife. I hung on as long as my paycheck was good because I couldn't find another job at the time. Then 6 weeks of checks were mailed to me from my bank for insufficient funds. Every check I had written now had an insufficient funds charge on it. I walked in and demanded cash at a trade show he was at. He said the money was now there and he would give me a check. "Bullsh**, get in my car and we are going to the bank, otherwise I call the State and a lawyer". Gave me cash right then for my pay and all the fees. Never saw him again.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yeah - can you say "State of California"? Thought I had a job for life, but there are no more gurantees, and the financial picture continues to look pretty murky. Thinking about going back to Germany and getting a job with SAP!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
The company I worked for had a product (Claritin). The patent expired on that drug and we had to compete with the generics, hence we started making over the counter Claritin.....we then got hit with the largest fine in FDA history and the flood gates open. I had no choice but to grap my buttcheeks and yell Geronimo as I bailed.

Now I am in another situation in my current company where we are loosing another key drug because the patent expired and we having layoffs in 18 months. I hope I am not affected :???:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I worked for a bank that went under. Rather than wait around to see what happened, I packed my trash and moved from VA to WA state. I'd always wanted to see the Pacific Northwest, and there really wasn't gonna be another way to do it for a long time.

i'm glad I did, too. So, my advice on the sinking ship is to use it an opportunity to do what you want to do. :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
17 Participants
jimbob
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing