Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to convince my sister she needs to stop paying dealership prices. In searching for labor times for her serpentine belts and tensioners, I ran across these guys. Just wondering if anyone has ever used them.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought he was on the disabled list unless I misread. I keep telling her she needs to stop paying their prices and go to a good independent. She won't let me touch the car. Not because she doesn't trust me. She'll never say it directly but she thinks the physical exertion is too much for me. Big Sister, what can I say. She took the car in for an LOF and state inspection Monday. They told her one or both belt tensioners are in need of replacement just by a quick glance. I looked underhood when I put her new registration sticker on. 2005 Mk 5 Jetta 2.5 auto. I can see a little uneven wear on the a/c belt. Is it the tensioner ? Is it just the pulley ? I couldn't get a spot on answer so I'm sure it would be"drop the car off one day and I'll give you a loaner" and the phone call will be "replace both tensioners and belts" for $800. I can understand the logic that it's 11 years old and 150,000 miles but if the tensioners are good and simply the plastic pulley(s) are bad, then do the right thing. In the last four years, she's paid them:

Conductor Plate - $1500
Water Pump - $800
Vacuum Pump - $900
Drivers Door Harness - $850

Help me convince her !!!!

·
Registered
28,208 Posts
No quite disabled, just in pain. I can do almost anything under the hood that does not require special tools. Under a car is a bit more difficult as I can't raise my right arm above the shoulder yet. I still managed a steering rack on a chevy truck, atf change and a Passat axle.

Send me a PM with your/her schedule and we can arrange a time next week or the 1st week of July.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No quite disabled, just in pain. I can do almost anything under the hood that does not require special tools. Under a car is a bit more difficult as I can't raise my right arm above the shoulder yet. I still managed a steering rack on a chevy truck, atf change and a Passat axle.

Send me a PM with your/her schedule and we can arrange a time next week or the 1st week of July.
Ok cool. That probably works for her. She's usually off Mon-Wed...

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
This thread is the perfect example why PA is such a great forum and why I am jealous/envious of certain members. Especially those located in my old stomping grounds of my childhood!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts