Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just cleaned my 2001.5 AWM throttle body last week for some rich at idle fuel trim issues. I am super slow/over careful doing home maintenance. It took about twice as long to clean as to remove and replace- total about 1 and a half hour (please no flaming for how slow I work). This is not a difficult job, since they have done your diagnosis for you. There are some DIY threads on this, just do a search for "throttle and clean". Especially with DBW engines like ours, some may say the door-open-key-in-ignition-engine-not-running trick won't work but it will work. I reset the throttle body this way and then checked it with VAG-COM and it was fine.
Do it yoursef, it'll save time and money and you'll be surprised by how easy it is if you have minimal mechanical ability.
Oh, I'm not sure EXACTLY what it is, but it's like laquer/carbonized stuff. I used Simple Green and a toothbrush to clean. I think they make a specific throttle body cleaner. Good luck and keep us posted.
Brad

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: Taking off the throttle body?

madigan said:
Dave99 said:
...Afraid to clean it if I am going to have to take it to the dealer to get the codes reset.
I cleaned mine a few weeks ago, didn't realign the throttle body, and the car didn't drive very well. I stalled whenever coming to a stop and throttle response was hokey...

I would highly recommend not cleaning your TB, unless you have access to a vag-com.

I'm sure some have gotten away with cleaning the TB and not realigning it, but it's up to you ultimately... If you go to the dealer they will charge you a ridiculous price to realign your TB.
Yes, not realigning throttle body can lead to serious driveability issues.
But as in original post, tflacke drives an 02, AWM, which is DBW.
The TB realign on this engine takes three minutes, no VAG-COM required.
There should be no DTC stored from this proceedure.
Well, anywhich way you choose, good luck.
Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.