Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our new (to us) '02 1.8T Passat Wagon (56k miles) in for some warranty issues last week. I complained that the car sometimes stumbles when it first starts and seems to me to be a bit low on power in the lower RPMs (compared to our 98 1.8T Passat). Dealer charged $96 for an hour of diagnosis and reported a "dirty throttle body' that "needs cleaning" (for an add'l 2 hours of labor - total, $300).

Is this a known problem w/ Passats and/or 1.8Ts? Seems odd to me that anything would need cleaning of this nature after 2.5 years and only 56k miles. Also, convenient that the suggested fix is not covered under my CPO warranty ("it's a maintenance issue, sir"). Has anyone experienced similar problems (stumble at first idle, low on power in the 2-3k rpm range) and solved it by cleaning the throlle body? Any idea what causes this dirt or carbon build up (if that's even what it is)?

Thanks,
Tim

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, All!

Wow, thanks everyone. This is exactly the info. I needed - and great instructions for how to DIY.

Few follow up questions:
1) does the gasket go on "dry" or is some type of sealant required?
2) What is a DB8 engine? I assume a code for the engine in my car, but can someone provide more details on this and other 1.8T engine codes? In particular, is there a different code for the 1.8T in our '98 Passat? What are the differences between these (and other?) 1.8T engines?
3) I had heard that by '01.5 the 1.8T had a "drive by wire" electronic throttle - is that true? (just curious)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.