Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Re: Thanks, All!

tflacke said:
Wow, thanks everyone. This is exactly the info. I needed - and great instructions for how to DIY.

Few follow up questions:
1) does the gasket go on "dry" or is some type of sealant required?
Goes on dry..

2) What is a DB8 engine? I assume a code for the engine in my car, but can someone provide more details on this and other 1.8T engine codes? In particular, is there a different code for the 1.8T in our '98 Passat? What are the differences between these (and other?) 1.8T engines?
3) I had heard that by '01.5 the 1.8T had a "drive by wire" electronic throttle - is that true? (just curious)
I think you may have mis-read BD8 for DBW .. DBW stands for "drive by wire"..

Your 98 (AEB engine code iirc) passat has throttle that is mechanically acutated by your foot via a throttle cable therefore drive by cable.

The later cars are an e-gas setup where the throttle is electrioncally controlled via a potentiometer on the throttle pedal. (not sure of the engine code of those motors.. AWP possibly?)

sorry if im am telling you something you already know.. vodka makes my head fuzzy... :)

· Registered
54 Posts
TurboBrad said:
You don't necessarily need to replace the gasket, if integrity OK just reuse it.
yeah, but its cheap insurance.. spend two bucks and get the gasket and replace it while you have it apart or bolt it all back up together and have to pull it all apart later because you skimped on a 2 dollar gasket..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.