Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done this?

With the looming reintroduction of the Passat TDI, which will not be offered in CA of course, I am considering buying it in Idaho and bringing it back here to Sacto.

If you have done this, and have any info on what's required, I'd be grateful for tips...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,741 Posts
You'd probably have to register it out of state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
Rich P said:
Yeah. If you can bring it in to CA, how are you gonna deal with inspections if it's registered in CA?
May be a fluke, but you might not have to. I'm in OH but have CA plates. CA DMV sends me the renewal notice in the mail to my OH address. Neither CA or OH has sent CARB/E-check notices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
Heard that buying a used car out of state, and then registering it in CA is a royale PITA. Is this true? I'm thinking of picking up a used EG shell out of state
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing about a TDI - no smog check... I know I'll have to register it out of state, but for how long? I have heard it also has to be driven X number of miles to qualify as "used" - but how many miles? :???:
 

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
Joined
·
7,048 Posts
PlatzDa said:
One thing about a TDI - no smog check... I know I'll have to register it out of state, but for how long? I have heard it also has to be driven X number of miles to qualify as "used" - but how many miles? :???:
You will need 7,500 miles on it before you bring it in to the state. The CHP will also get you if you regisiter out of state and they see the car once or twice. They DO enforce this. This is there income. Say you register it in Oregon. You will pay about $50 bucks total for everything. In CA that same car would cost you about $2,200 total! They want their money and notice out of state plates.

The diesel may be good or bad. You won't need a smog check, BUT, there is a reason they don't sell them in CA anymore. They may not even let you bring it in. Did you check the DMV website?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
I bought my B5 in Reno, and drove it home same day. At the DMV paid full registration fee plus sales tax. Not a Tdi, so can't help you there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
Postman said:
The CHP will also get you if you regisiter out of state and they see the car once or twice. They DO enforce this. This is there income. Say you register it in Oregon. You will pay about $50 bucks total for everything. In CA that same car would cost you about $2,200 total! They want their money and notice out of state plates.
Then they must be real busy in the Northeast since there are such a large variety of out-of-state plates just on my street... Oregan, Connecticut, New York, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Alaska... What I've listed is real I'm not kidding...
 

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
Joined
·
7,048 Posts
HKPassat said:
Postman said:
The CHP will also get you if you regisiter out of state and they see the car once or twice. They DO enforce this. This is there income. Say you register it in Oregon. You will pay about $50 bucks total for everything. In CA that same car would cost you about $2,200 total! They want their money and notice out of state plates.
Then they must be real busy in the Northeast since there are such a large variety of out-of-state plates just on my street... Oregan, Connecticut, New York, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Alaska... What I've listed is real I'm not kidding...
CA sucks. They recently said they were going to start enforcing this even more. Not a problem if you live in a big city. A small town they will get to know the car. They just need to see it twice in a couple weeks time to pull you over and ask. Now, if you have an out of state license to go with the plates............

I used to get pulled over in WA for my Nevada plates quite a bit. My license was in CA, the plates were from NV and the car was in WA. Even though I was in the military at the time I still got shit from it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Postman said:
PlatzDa said:
One thing about a TDI - no smog check... I know I'll have to register it out of state, but for how long? I have heard it also has to be driven X number of miles to qualify as "used" - but how many miles? :???:
You will need 7,500 miles on it before you bring it in to the state. The CHP will also get you if you regisiter out of state and they see the car once or twice. They DO enforce this. This is there income. Say you register it in Oregon. You will pay about $50 bucks total for everything. In CA that same car would cost you about $2,200 total! They want their money and notice out of state plates.

The diesel may be good or bad. You won't need a smog check, BUT, there is a reason they don't sell them in CA anymore. They may not even let you bring it in. Did you check the DMV website?
Thanks for the info - I need to check out DMV's site (hell, I work for the State of CA - think I'd know that!), or maybe call. As always, the info one receives is often contradictory...

I have friends in Idaho, and I can leave the damn thing up there for a while if needed, but who knows if the bastards will let me get away with it? I'm not eager to gamble $24-25,000 on it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,337 Posts
Then they must be real busy in the Northeast since there are such a large variety of out-of-state plates just on my street... Oregan, Connecticut, New York, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Alaska... What I've listed is real I'm not kidding...
in certain mass. cities, students from out of state are required to have a sticker on their car that says "out of state." Thing is that mass is such a college state that it's a pita to enforce. CA on the other hand...no big deal for them to bug you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
atomicalex said:
Take a month off and drive to NYC and back. 7.5K + right there. Stop and vist every B5er you can on the way. We will be glad to host if you come through Detroit. :)
Excellent idea! See, I knew I liked you AA! Anyone who likes Plastic Bertrand has to be cool! 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
I had a Fire Engine Red Buick Reatta in when I first moved to CA and had Maryland plates on it for almost 5 years, never got bothered once, and that car stood out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,295 Posts
Sounds like some have some specifics. If it's not CA smog legal, it has to be owned & operated out of state for a given mileage (7500 seems to be popular) and for at least six months - the out of state title transfer will show dates. Then, if you become a CA resident (e.g., move here formally, even though you may have been here all along), you can then register it in CA. The DMV will actually walk you through this unless you get someone who isn't at all helpful. Usually, just ask them about the appropriate sections of the CVC and look it up on the internet, you get all the specifics without someone else's interpretation. In this case, I believe it's pretty specific, so you don't need that. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Here in NYC, I see non-New York plates all the time, and I know for sure that they live here (just look at the bumper). They do it mainly because it's cheaper to insure a car that's not from the NYC area. Insurance here is rip off. Anyways, it's illegal here, but the NYPD doesn't enforce it. They're too busy ticketing pregnant women that sit on subway steps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
I drove a VA plates car for 4 years in NYC and never got bothered by the cops because of it even though I got pulled over for speeding and other things.

Alex
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top