Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've searched other threads and can't find anyone who has a similar problem.

I had my Euroswitch and HIDs installed at the place my dealer's body shop sends their stuff to. They kept saying "this guy's a wiz!!"... so ok, sure why not.

The reason it went to him in the first place is because after I installed angel-eyes headlights my turn signals would flash fast, like I had a bulb out. Apparently it took him 4 days to get it fixed.

I get my car back after that and the other problems I had were fixed. I go take a look at the new HIDs and the euroswitch. Everything seems to be great. First position of the switch, all is off. Second position, the angel eye halos are on, and they look great. Third position, headlights are on and the HIDs look amazing. :thumbup:

So then I drive off and it's getting dark, but then I notice that my headlights are full on, and my euroswitch is set on the first position (where everything should be off). So I click it over to the second position and my headlights start to strobe like crazy. I ended up pulling over the car in front of me... :confused:

I click it on the third position and it stops strobing and stays on. Back to second, it flickers once. Back to first, nothing happens. Back to second, strobe again. FFS! What's wrong?

I manage to get home and just click the switch back and forth between positions to see what is happening, see if I find any patterns... then the right headlight stops working altogether. Then it works again after some switching.

So everything works just fine when I have the handbrake up, but when the handbrake is down, the headlights are on in all 3 euroswitch positions, and flicker sometimes.

What's going on???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cuz he clearly isn't a "Wiz" and I don't like to go back to people who messed up in the first place. They tend to just patch things up to fix the problem, even if it creates others. Which is exactly what he already did with the turn signals, as now I have ghetto strobing headlights.

I think my solution is to have everything wired so it works the same way with hand brakes down as it does with it up. Does anyone know how I could do that?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Hmm. I'm sure not getting why things would be acting differently when the hand brake was on or off, sounds like something to do with the DRL relay. I'll bet that they didn't remove relay 173 and that's causing your flashing of the HID's? Take a look here to see where relay 173 is located http://home.comcast.net/~slashpub/drl/DisablingDRL.pdf

I really would agree that you should take it back and let them know that you were under the impression that they were compentent at what they do. Give them one more chance to make it right or they can refund your money so you can have someone else do the work.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So I click it over to the second position and my headlights start to strobe like crazy. I ended up pulling over the car in front of me...
LMAO...Sorry, that's just funny.

I would take it back to "The Wiz" if for nothing else but to have him explain exactly what he did so maybe you can figure it out from there. If he can't figure it out have him put the car back the way he found it, refund your $$ and go somewhere else that does know what they are doing. Why pay twice to have the job done?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I took it back to the shop. The "Wiz" wasn't there, still on vacation... :whistle:

I explained the situation to his manager, though. The manager said the same thing, more or less, SeattleReign said. It's the daytime running lights that's causing the troubles. He told me I can ride with my hand brake up 1 click and I won't have any problems. :crazy: 1) I drive a stick, I don't need to be unnecessarily wasting my hand brake. 2) Up to now all installs and jobs done on Sexy (my car) have been clean and nice... I don't wanna (derogatory term)-rig it just so my headlights work properly.

He said one possible solution he can think of is to remake the entire circuit board. :icon_eek: Riiiiight.

So I guess I'll just have to wait for the "Wiz" to call me on Monday, which will probably be more like Thursday. :beer:

I'll take a look at the link now, Seattle, and I'll post my results here. :)

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I think the removal of relay 173 will solve your issue (at least for the most part). It should stop your lights from flickering. Basically that relay is telling your HID's to run at half power which they just can't do. Remove the relay and set yourself free. It'r really a simple removal to do. Let us know how it all turns out.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I think the removal of relay 173 will solve your issue (at least for the most part). It should stop your lights from flickering. Basically that relay is telling your HID's to run at half power which they just can't do. Remove the relay and set yourself free.
Is this a problem for all who have converted to HID's and kept their DRL?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:D

Fixed!

So, here's what I did.

After looking at Seattle's link: http://home.comcast.net/~slashpub/drl/DisablingDRL.pdf

I disabled the B pin that should disable the DRL when the swith is in the OFF position, which theoretically should be the same with a stock switch and a euro switch. It worked, in the off position, now all lights were off, even with my hand brake down.

So then I looked at the chart compiled by our fellow member soundguybob:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125493

That told me that the same connection (Xz) that goes to the B pin, then goes to the 56D pin, when the switch is on the middle position. So I disabled 56D and voila! It all works properly, the daytime running lights are now disabled for P1 and P2 (first and middle position of the euroswitch). The Halos come on at P2 as they should, and come off on P1 as they should. When the hand brake is up, all works the same way. :beer:

Thank you guys for the help! :bowdown:

Though I think now I'll always wish I could continue to pull people over. :whistle:

Edit:

Summary - I disabled B and 56D by bending them both down. All is great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't try to remove the relay, cuz I didn't see that suggestion until afterwards. Plus I lose things really easily... so not a good idea for me anyway.

If I get my hands on my cousin's euroswitch (unaltered) I'll put it in and test the results of the relay removal.

Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts