Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my OEM chain tensioner fail last May after 17 years and 304000 miles of service. I ordered the Europa Parts tensioner (Audi, VW Cam Chain Tensioner (A4 TT Golf Jetta Beetle Passat 1.8T) 058109088K by OE Supplier) after hearing positive reviews on this site. Tensioner seemed to be fine for almost a year until I noticed oil drips on the driveway last week. Thought it was coming from the half-moon seal, but after closer inspection, it's clearly coming out of the end of the tensioner solenoid. Hopefully there's some type of warranty on this part, but there's nothing on their site about it.

Has anyone else had a issue with this tensioner failing or leaking?

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,611 Posts
Had my OEM chain tensioner fail last May after 17 years and 304000 miles of service. I ordered the Europa Parts tensioner (Audi, VW Cam Chain Tensioner (A4 TT Golf Jetta Beetle Passat 1.8T) 058109088K by OE Supplier) after hearing positive reviews on this site. Tensioner seemed to be fine for almost a year until I noticed oil drips on the driveway last week. Thought it was coming from the half-moon seal, but after closer inspection, it's clearly coming out of the end of the tensioner solenoid. Hopefully there's some type of warranty on this part, but there's nothing on their site about it.Has anyone else had a issue with this tensioner failing or leaking?
Replacing it seems to be a PITA. So I'm thinking if there is any way to seal the leaking area.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really rather not replace the whole tensioner again, it was a PITA. Ideally, I'd like them to send me a new tensioner so I can swap solenoids, but that's probably unlikely. I sent them an e-mail about the issue and am waiting to see how they respond. I purchased the part on 5/12/19, so I am just outside of the 1-year warranty period.

I did find a post on another board (Cam Chain Tensioner Leaking From Electrical Connector End) where a poster was able to repair his leaking solenoid.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,611 Posts
I think replacing the solenoid O-ring is a viable solution that you can apply with minimum cost and effort and see what happens. Basically, you can do two things here: either buy a quality O-ring (as the other poster suggested in his post), or apply black RTV gasket maker ($5) which I believe is anti-oil leak since it is been used in valve cover (I used it myself and several years no oil leak).

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
I've seen a few people just replace the solenoid and seal. I've done it once for someone and used an old solenoid/seal and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I had to replace the leaking solenoid o-ring on my replacement cam chain tensioner some years ago. I used the o-ring from my old (factory original) cam chain tensioner, but you should be able to buy the appropriate size metric o-ring (although the variety of sizes is astounding). A pick-a-part junkyard might be another option--the solenoid is held on with two screws, just don't let the o-ring drop out.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They did offer to warranty the tensioner, but it will cost me return shipping, plus a 10% "warranty processing fee" . Cant forget 3-4 hours of labor to swap out the part as well. So now I have to decide between that or trying to fix the leak.

I am slightly confused about the number of o-rings. The audizine link in my first post shows 2 different o-rings, #1 being smaller
orings.JPG

This other diagram I found in this thread: Cam chain tensioner o-ring leaking - anyone replaced it? shows 1 o-ring.
cct exploded.JPG

Is the #1 o-ring in the top photo the same as #5 in the exploded view, or is there a third o-ring? Is there an o-ring between the solenoid cover and the tensioner body?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The CCT from my 2001.5 1.8T (AWM) had an o-ring between the solenoid and the CCT itself which was leaking. I did not disassemble the solenoid at all.

I stole the (still good) translucent/clear o-ring from the factory CCT to replace the leaking o-ring on the "new" CCT (which had been installed for a while). As I recall, it was pinched, probably upon assembly. I swapped the o-ring with the CCT in place. I just removed the two screws that secure the solenoid, maybe 20 minutes.

The photos below do not show the o-ring (it had already been removed). It fits in the ID of the recess in the CCT (second picture). You could certainly remove the solenoid to examine it and measure the o-ring, then put it back together until you get the o-ring. The only risk is dropping the screws or o-ring.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the photos, that helps a ton.

Where was your tensioner leaking at? It seems like a bad o-ring between the tensioner and the solenoid would cause a leak where the two come together, not at the connector end of the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thanks for the photos, that helps a ton.

Where was your tensioner leaking at? It seems like a bad o-ring between the tensioner and the solenoid would cause a leak where the two come together, not at the connector end of the solenoid.
Mine was, indeed, leaking where the solenoid mounts to the tensioner.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided to not replace the tensioner initially and let it dribble a bit. The car does have 310,000 miles after all and is looking pretty ragged. I was just trying to get a few more months out it before GTI shopping begins. Anyways, my CEL pops up and it's the P0011 code, which was the reason I replaced the CCT in the first place. Looks like I have no choice but to replace it now. Hopefully Europarts will step up and still warranty it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So much for Europa Parts standing behind their part. Guess I'm going to roll with the CEL for a few more months.

What really pisses me off is the fact that they offer a 36 month warranty if you buy their kit that includes gaskets, seals, and a chain. I didn't need a chain so I bought just the tensioner and gaskets. Literally spent $10 less to get 1/3 of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
So much for Europa Parts standing behind their part. Guess I'm going to roll with the CEL for a few more months.

What really pisses me off is the fact that they offer a 36 month warranty if you buy their kit that includes gaskets, seals, and a chain. I didn't need a chain so I bought just the tensioner and gaskets. Literally spent $10 less to get 1/3 of the warranty.
FCP Euro is the way to go. I have never had problems with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts