Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Euro switch today. I pulled relay 173 to disable my DRL's, and now when I have the switch in the "park" position and pull it out for the fog's to come on, they don't... They will only come on when the switch is in the headlight on position. I really want to only have my parking and fog lights on at the same time which is the reason I bought the switch for..... suggestions please

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,177 Posts
Don't have a euroswitch myself, but I think it's working as intended. Further, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to run the fogs without the headlights in PA. (I am sure it is in NJ)

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
98 and 99 Passats are wired such that the fog won't come on without the headlights.

This is why I sold my euroswitch.

The one on my 02 GTi works as you and I wanted (fogs with parking/city lights). 2000 and newer Passats also allow the fogs to come on with parking lights.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scotts 13, I usually push the envelope as much as I can, the worst that can happen is I get a fix-it-ticket. I've had cops pull me over before for illegal things on my vehicles only to ask where I got the work done at. All laws in Pa are only illegal if the cop is having a bad day anyway

·
Registered
217 Posts
and really, if its foggy enough to need only fogs, not too likely anyone can tell which lights you have on. certainly easy enough to impune their testimony in front of a judge.
also goes back to the old concealed carry saying "Id rather be tried by 12 than carried by six"

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,177 Posts
No need to explain guys - wire your lights however you like. But, having been ticketed for just that reason by a very determined NJ officer, I'd be remiss if I didn't at least warn you of that slight disadvantage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scotts13 I do appreciate your warning and understand your concern. I didn't want to sound like a jerk towards you. I just got done with a court battle about window tint on my wife's Escalade and i hope the cop thinks twice before he writes another ticket for factory tint again! Lol, anyway, I do thank you very much for pointing that issue out to me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
scotts13 I do appreciate your warning and understand your concern. I didn't want to sound like a jerk towards you. I just got done with a court battle about window tint on my wife's Escalade and i hope the cop thinks twice before he writes another ticket for factory tint again! Lol, anyway, I do thank you very much for pointing that issue out to me.
FWIW, I don't think fogs and parking lights in PA are illegal. The fogs just have to go out with high beams like most other states.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts