Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching and can't seem to find anyone who has one.

For 180 +/- seems like a good deal. Only down side seems to be the oil lines are not SS. How easily could these be replaced? What size is best?

http://eurosportacc.com/oilcooler.htm

I've read zach's write up and it dosn't seem to hard, just exploring the options:)

Thanks!
Ethan

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can always install the s4 oil cooler which will install in the stock location, and would be easier to install.
I looked at those but they did not seem that much different from the stock OC. Why is the S4 better, other than larger compacity?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
I looked at those but they did not seem that much different from the stock OC. Why is the S4 better, other than larger compacity?
not only capacity, but it seems that the s4 coolers seem to be more reliable than the stock. the smoc are nice, but are an overkill unless you're planning to track the car, or put out massive hp.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I'm in the middle of changing the write up I did on this. I had a leak and the new write up will address how to avoid it.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I guess I can't change my write up so here's what I would change.

First, don't use the liquid sealant, use Teflon tape. I came up with a leak on the first go around and I had to take the whole thing apart and when everything was put back together with tape, there where no leaks except….

The damn core sprung a leak. I guess I over tightened it and it didn't like it so I replace the core with something better from Summit, a Fluidyne core. It has the 8AN bungs welded on the core so there is no way you can over tighten it. It is of better quality but it came at a bit more price. It was worth it as it was bigger and BARELY fits under the Kamei grill. After I got it in I saw the oil temps drop a few more degrees as this core is bigger than the old one.

Here are the part numbers for the new stuff I put in, all from Summit-

FLD-DB-30110- Fluidyne Core @$98
SUM-220887- need 2 of [email protected]$15 each. They are 90 degree bends that connect to the core.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Zach!! That thing is huge! Still have a few Q's..

Do you just put the teflon tape on the end of the SS line and just put it in?

How much line did you have left over? I went with a tyrolsport SMIC and plan to mount the OC lower, that and airflow would be blocked because of the boser.

did you remover the stock OC yet? How exactly does the oil filter go on if stock oil filter is gone? To be more clear would the metal part that the oil filter goes on the not become to long or to short if the stock OC is removed. Let me know if this does not make sense.

So all the part i'll need are:
From summit:
SUM-220887- need 2 of [email protected]$15 each. They are 90 degree bends that connect to the core.
-Trans cooler mounting kit from Summit, part number SUM-G4990.
-2 90 degree elbows that transition from ½ inch to -8AN from Summit, part number AER-FBM2626.
-2 45 degree elbows that transition from ½ inch to -8AN from Summit, part number AER-FBM2593.
-10 feet of -8AN steel braided line from Summit, part number SUM-230810.
-2 -8AN fittings from Summit, part number SUM-220890.
and the one part form bahnbrenner correct?

If you can't update the thread, post up a link to this topic and give people a link to the updated info. Why can't you update it though?

Sorry for the long post

Ethan

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Do you just put the teflon tape on the end of the SS line and just put it in?
You only need to use the tape where one thing screws into/onto another. When you put the fitting on the SS line it has a sleeve that goes over the line then the other piece. I't kind of confusing until you have the parts in front of you but I can take a pict of a fitting if you want.

Keep in mind that's why you need to put tape where you plan tocut the line or it will fray and you won't be able to get the sleeve over the line.

How much line did you have left over? I went with a tyrolsport SMIC and plan to mount the OC lower, that and airflow would be blocked because of the boser.
I had maybe 2 feet of line left. If you go with a FMIC you can put an oil cooler where the stock intercooler is like Rusty did. I just put mine on the front for extra cooling and for looks.

did you remover the stock OC yet? How exactly does the oil filter go on if stock oil filter is gone? To be more clear would the metal part that the oil filter goes on the not become to long or to short if the stock OC is removed. Let me know if this does not make sense.
Yes I removed the stock oil cooler. I used Rusty's write up but you can see on his how he took it off. Once it's off you replace the threaded shaft with a smaller one from the dealer ($2) and put the adapter plate on as usual. You just loop the coolant lines together after that. After that, the new recommened larger filter will fit on along with the external oil cooler.

The part number for the threaded piece is VW part # 059-115-721, $1.26

So all the part i'll need are:
From summit:
-Trans cooler mounting kit from Summit, part number SUM-G4990.
-2 90 degree elbows that transition from ½ inch to -8AN from Summit, part number AER-FBM2626.
-2 45 degree elbows that transition from ½ inch to -8AN from Summit, part number AER-FBM2593.
-10 feet of -8AN steel braided line from Summit, part number SUM-230810.
-2 -8AN fittings from Summit, part number SUM-220890.
and the one part form bahnbrenner correct?
Almost, I was able to update the original write up. It's now updated with the new parts list.

If you can't update the thread, post up a link to this topic and give people a link to the updated info. Why can't you update it though?
I was able to modify the original. Once it's in the info base it's locked so if I need to modify it it has to be moved to the testing forum then moved back to the info base.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Pm with me with the parts list before you order from Summit. If you forget something you have to pay a bunch more for shipping one part which is why it's best to get everything at once.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check out the whole complete kits from Bahn Brenner Motorports. Prices are fair and they know what their're talking about.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
You can piece one together for cheaper than they are selling one for..............

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can piece one together for cheaper than they are selling one for..............
Depends on quality of parts you're looking at, braided lines or not, thermostatic or not. But having shopped arround pretty much, they are in the game.

I found the coolers cheaper from racer parts wholesale

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/ check under Mocal products.

The advantage of buying all at the same place is that you have only 1 shipping fee.

I was also recommended from SETRAB and MOCAL to use their mounting brackets because of the rubber lining. Apparently a key element to extend the life of the cooler by insulating it from some vibration.

And with BBM, you know it will fit cause they specialize in VW - AUDI.... :cool:

Very neet set up by the way. Can you tell me how much lower your oil temp got buy doing this set up?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts