Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family Album / Entertaining The Kids Again / ETKA

I don't hear much talk about it in this club (ETKA). Is anyone using it? I have a working European Version (6.xx), I'd like to get the U.S. version? Anyone, anyone.?

I searched and found only 19 post even touching ETKA. I would think everyone and their uncle's brothers sisters aunts friend would be asking questions about it.

I need the US version so I can pull up RA (U.S. Rabbits).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have it as well, 6.02. but I need the crack for my 6.03 version. I get several Hardlock errors and the built in crack does not work.

ETKA is very handy for convincing the guy at the parts counter that you do actually know what you are talking about, and the diagrams can be useful in helping to disasemble and reasemble things on the car. It's not a service manual, but if you need to work on something, you can look at and print the diagram to get an idea how it works.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear everyones having problems with the the hardlock. Are you guys using the cracked version of LEXHDL5.DLL, not the one from the disk? I have that.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I have US 5.XX. and the Euro 6.XX.

If you are having problems with a cracked version, it may simply be that you need to move some files around... there are two procedures one for XP and another (less complicated) one for W2kP.

I however do not have the procedure, nore can I find the thread here that covers it :cry:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quoted from a webpage:

How to get ETKA (The Family Album) to work on Win2K+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Windows NT and Windows 2000.

Install it as normal, but then you have to go to the EPC_PROG.W95 directory on the CD, and copy the following files from the cd to the EPC_PROG directory on the hard drive:
LEXHDL5.DLL
LEXHDLL5.DLL
Then answer yes to overlay the original file on both copies

ETKA 6 and Plan 'B' for ETKA 5
If the above doesnt work!
ETKA 6

As provided by VW, ETKA comes with a "dongle" that attaches to the parallel port. Dongles usually contain an Integrated Circuit(IC) which returns a code when queried by software.

In the case of ETKA, the signal goes out and asks "are you attached?". The dongle answers "sure am!", and the software permits the ETKA program to continue.

You can get ETKA to work by either getting a dongle, or much easier, getting the software to replace the dongle.

The file that queries the ETKA dongle is LeXHDL5.DLL . "LEX" refers to LexCom, the company that makes dongles and the associated software. "HDL5" is shorthand for "hardlock".

Installation Instructions:

Win 98 and Win 2k Pro

1. change monitor resolution to 1280 X 1224
2. run epcsetup.exe from the CD ROM
3. Replace lexhdl5.dll with cracked version. This file is in two locations.
a. win98 . .c:\windows\system . .and . .c:\EPC_PROG
b. win2k . .c:\winnt\system . . .and . .c:\EPC_PROG
4. Run EPC(ETKA)
5. At first window, select VW/AUDI, then hit EPC button. Choosing just "Audi" at first window will get you the error message "Hardlock not present error code 304"
6. In next window, select either VW or Audi

Win XP

I have it from reliable sources that the above procedure also works on Win XP systems.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
my Etka works only with 1280x1024 pixels resolution (or something like that,do not remember)
For all el.catalogues freaks, check this:
:lol: :roll:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know, I'm really surprised there's never been deep discussions about this before. Having a working ETKA is VW Heaven. Even just to go look at the humble beginnings of the Type 1's to today. It's amazing and it's a great reference.

The hardest part is getting the stupid thing to work. Anyone got some "private" space or FTP where we can upload and place some download rules (i.e. must x amount of posts, must show picture of :b5: , or something like that) to keep out the vagrant downloaders and kill a good thing.

I need to get my server up!

I'm willing to upload my version if others are too...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The reason it is not talked about is that is is "gray area" / illegal. They have never sold it to private people only dealerships. These are all pirated copies people are talking about. Can someone PM me a location so I can grab Version6? ;) My version is 5 and it is out of date. THANKS!

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
danteshors said:
The reason it is not talked about is that is is "gray area" / illegal. They have never sold it to private people only dealerships. These are all pirated copies people are talking about. Can someone PM me a location so I can grab Version6? ;) My version is 5 and it is out of date. THANKS!
That's exactly why. All the discussion of " I have it", and "it's a pain to install", are all very nice innocent statements in regards to the entity of Club :b5:.

Having a thread that has a link to where to download is going WAY too far.

So keep it clean in regards to this thread, and it will stay. Post a hosting site, an the thread disappears.

In other words... you have alot of info. Use it. Just keep it off the site :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The reason it is not talked about is that is is "gray area" / illegal.
Not necessarily. I know of a person who picked one up legally at a dealership in Europe while he was there during this past Christmas. Only has European cars though, not North American versions. Still needed the hardlock bypass though.

Having a thread that has a link to where to download is going WAY too far.
I agree. I think as long as it's only talked about in this forum, it would be okay. If it is posted here...no, no, no. If it's done off line, through personal emails or PM's, then the responsibility is on you :wink: .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.