Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a used passat wagon. Is it possible to upgrade a used car to the ESP traction control after the fact? It's a $280 upgrade on a new car, according to vw.com. And the seller of a passat i am interested in claims it has 'traction control'. could that be the same? Is there a way to see if a car has ESP, besides consulting a psychic?

The second question: how hard is it to make the seats heated on a GLS? It says 'heatable' seats for the cold weather package. If I get a car without that package, would i need new seats if i want some heat in them? Is there a way to tell when looking at a used car?

Any other passat-specific things to check out on a used car?

Thanks. I checked the info section and it was VERY helpful. I will get the car chipped, for sure. Never new that, and what a cool upgrade.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If the car has a cold weather package, then the seats are heated, plain and simple.

The stock traction control on the Passat is a system called ASR, which really only controlls slip on hard launches (say if you were trying to accelerate up a hill but gave it too much throttle and it was wet out, you would slip... so this retards timing in order to lower revs and limit slip). ESP is rather like 4-Motion in a way, in the event that the sensors detect a lateral slip of the car (should you begin to slide out sideways) the ESP system will immediatly kick in, pulsate the brakes on various corners of the car to correct the side slip, and get the car running straight again. It also limits engine RPM's during skid situations to not make matters worse. That is my understanding of the individual systems, I don't know if it is entirely accurate, but it works for me. As far as transplanting the ESP system to a car that does not have it? I honestly don't know if it can be done, I have never read about a member on here that has even tried :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VWPassatGLX155 said:
If the car has a cold weather package, then the seats are heated, plain and simple.

As far as transplanting the ESP system to a car that does not have it? I honestly don't know if it can be done, I have never read about a member on here that has even tried :roll:
OK. thanks. maybe i will ask the dealership or something. it seems like a worthwhile upgrade at $280, and at that price it's probably some computer modification or something.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I know it involves the placement of several sensors, and a centrally mounted ESP control computer. I am not sure what the cost would be to retrofit. I would imagine that it is a LOT more than the 280 from the factory though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not feasable to retrofit either, if its not that way from the factory.

Look at the switches on the vertical panels on each side of the radio console. There should be thumb wheels with 1-5 positions on them for the seat heat if its so equipped. If its leather, it should be. Whether it works or not, you will have to dial them both to 5 and sit in them for a few minutes to tell.

Same with traction control. There should be a button marked ASR, for Anti Slip Regulation, which works pretty well on snow/ice, and on wet roads if you get on the gas too hard. If it is marked ESP, you are golden.

John

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
There are several additional components in order to implement ESP, including but not limited to... steering wheel position sensor, two yaw rate sensors, and the central processor to do the math, and interface with the ABS and engine.

ESP is basically yaw control. It measures what the yaw rate of the car is, and compares it to what it should be based on the calculated value (calculated from vehicle speed, and steering wheel position). It the measured yaw rate is too high (over steer) it corrects it using ABS, if it's too low (understeer) it uses the ABS to increase the yaw rate.

It's a very different system from ASR or 4Mo. The only yaw control in my '01 4Mo is me :).

Unfortunately it's a realatively integrated system, and not just 'a computer modification'. I have yet to heasr of anyone just adding it.

If you want it, you'll have to pick one with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm.. OK thanks

thanks for that info. it sounds like something I want, so this will make searching for that perfect used passat even more difficult!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
pass-variant said:
There are several additional components in order to implement ESP, including but not limited to... steering wheel position sensor, two yaw rate sensors, and the central processor to do the math, and interface with the ABS and engine.

ESP is basically yaw control. It measures what the yaw rate of the car is, and compares it to what it should be based on the calculated value (calculated from vehicle speed, and steering wheel position). It the measured yaw rate is too high (over steer) it corrects it using ABS, if it's too low (understeer) it uses the ABS to increase the yaw rate.

It's a very different system from ASR or 4Mo. The only yaw control in my '01 4Mo is me :).

Unfortunately it's a realatively integrated system, and not just 'a computer modification'. I have yet to heasr of anyone just adding it.

If you want it, you'll have to pick one with it.
Sorry... didn't mean to confuse anyone in saying that 4-Motion and ESP are the same. I was mearly making the comparision in saying that they are both systems that transfer power to and from wheels to control excess sideslip and yaw. The 4-motion system is vastly different from ESP, for one thing it drives all 4 wheels, and for another, it has nothing to do with the brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
VWPassatGLX155
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing