Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I just got back from running some packages up to UPS (in an expeditious manner) and had a chance to do a little bit of spirited driving around town. One thing that really impressed me was how great of a job ESP does at not letting the driver really screw things up.

I pushed the car beyond it's limits on some short, moderate speed, sweepers - both with and without ESP. With ESP turned off, I was able to maintain nice drift through the turns, and even induce a little oversteer once by tapping the brakes and giving the wheel a little twitch at the apex of the turn - not something I expected to do in my new Passat, BTW! With ESP on I wasn't able to get the car to slide (much), and it stayed composed and "in control" all the way through the turn.

This, needless to say, is pretty damn impressive. Even more so, I'm really impressed at how unobtrusive the system seemed. I would have hardly known it was working if I didn't see the little yellow light blinking out of the corner of my eye. In my M3, when ASR kicked in, you knew it! It was very agressive, and I felt like it over compensated about 75% of the time. I'm not saying the Passat handles better than an M3 or anything, but the ESP system built into this car is really nice. Hopefully the snow, picking up steam right now outside, will let me test it in some nasty weather tomorrow morning.

It makes me feel better that I didn't spend the extra cash on the 4motion. I know you're reading this Jason. :wink:

Abe

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Glad you're loving your B5. Needless to say both your B5 and M3 both have their advantages in comparison.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am loving it, more than I expected too - a nice treat. I was sad to see the M3 go, and you're right, they both do have their advantages in comparison. I'm just thrilled at the "bang for the buck" factor with this car. Now if I can just stay away from messing with the engine too much... must... resist... temptation... :D

Abe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts