Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so today on my way home my car ('04 GLX V6) stalled. I restarted it and it stalled again. This repeated a few times. Car seemed to have a weak idle and when I accelerate it wants to accelerate hard but then lags, almost stalls and then accelerated hard. I drove for a few blocks and it stalled again. This time when I started it the ESP light(circle with triangle) came on on the dash and won't turn back off when I hit the button. Now while driving the car jolts hard randomly. It feels like a really hard trans shift. I have no idea where to even start to diagnose this. I am going to try and limp it to Autozone to get a vag-com reading. If anyone else has had this issue and has a solve please let me know. Thank you

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Do any other lights lights come on ?
Autozone are not likely to have VCDS (or the old version "VAGCom")
Get it scanned with VCDS and post the codes.

Disconnect the large connector on the ABS module, and wrap in plastic to keep clean.
If this helps, you likely have a faulty ABS Module. You can drive with it disconnected,
you just won't have the functions performed by the ABS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tomvw, The check engine light is on but it's always on. I have been chasing code on that for months. It was mostly misfires which I have taken care of. Now Pcodes reveal only Cam Pos Sensor and Mass Air Flow Sensor. The battery light comes on when it stalled but I would think that is normal. Battery light remains of while driving. I will disconnect ABS Later and find someone to run VCDS as you are correct and I found out last night Azone won't do it. As soon as I get codes I will post. Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I unplugged the ABS Module and the sudden jolting of my car problem has stopped so now I need to determine if its simply the electronics or if the pump switch has gone bad. I'll probably pick one up on ebay and swap it out and see if the problem goes away which it should. I also checked all the ABS fuses just to be sure it wasn't that simple of an issue. Still need to locate someone with a VCDS to scan the system. As a side note the MAF code was because the hose to the intake manifold had come off so I replaced the clamp.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
You would find life with a VW much easier if you buy a VAG 409.1 cable (About $10) on eBay or Amazon,
and download the FREE VCDS-Lite from Ross Tech. Do some searching for more info.

You should scan it with the ABS connected to determine whether the fault is in the module or elsewhere.
If the module is faulty, send it out for repair. (Do NOT get a one from a junk yard)

SOME ABS MODULE RE-BUILDERS.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/members/k0mpresd.html
Reflect Tuning :: CONTACT
ModuleMaster
CHEAP Bosch 5.3 ABS REPAIR VW Passat Audi A4 A6 A8 S4
ABS Module - Volkswagen - Passat - 1999-2005 - A.S.I

1 - 6 of 6 Posts