Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I have a little problem with my Passat 2004.
When i drive , after around 5 minutes the ESP light turns on on the dashboard. And when I press the ESP button it doesn't help. The button is dead, I can't either turn the ESP on or off by pressing the ESP button.

When I scan the car to look for faulty codes, code 00526 comes up. I have replaced the brake switch light and erased the fault code but the fault code came back and I can't still switch the ESP manually on or off, and I still get the ESP light on the dashboard after driving for around 5 minutes.

The tires are new and all the same size.

I have tried to erase the code but it comes back. Even tried to press the brake pedal before searching for codes but it didn't help.

I hope you guys can help me!

Thank you so much

Donche

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
00526 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Do your brake lights work normally?

The ESP button disables the ESP. When disabled, the dash light illuminates to let you know the system is off. Can you disable and then enable the ESP when you first start the car (before it lights up all on its own).

What are you using to scan the car? Which modules are you scanning? If you're using VCDS, do a complete scan of all the modules in the car. Does the 00526 come back immediately after clearing or only after the 5 minute drive it takes to make the ESP light come on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
00526 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Do your brake lights work normally?

The ESP button disables the ESP. When disabled, the dash light illuminates to let you know the system is off. Can you disable and then enable the ESP when you first start the car (before it lights up all on its own).

What are you using to scan the car? Which modules are you scanning? If you're using VCDS, do a complete scan of all the modules in the car. Does the 00526 come back immediately after clearing or only after the 5 minute drive it takes to make the ESP light come on?
My brake lights work normally even when the ESP light is on

when the ESP light is not on but even when it is on I can not disable/enalbe the ESP by pressing the ESP button

I use OBDII and I scanned ABS, on other modules the failcode doesn't come up. It does come back after the ESP light turns on again. When I erase the code and search for faicodes I get No Errors, I get the failcode after the 5 minute drive after the ESP turns on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And one thing that maybe is worth mentioning is that this problem showed after i got the heater core replaced. Can it be that any wire isn't connected in the propper way?
Thank you

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
That's a good clue. Something (a wire, harness or connector) might have been disturbed or damaged during that job. They need to remove the dash to access the heater core. It's a pretty involved and invasive job.

Maybe talk to the person who did the work (not a service writer who was nowhere near the car while it was being tore apart). Explain the problem you're encountering and ask if he can think of anything he remembers from the heater job that might be causing this problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Steve in Chicago. I went to the person who di the work but he said that they won't take any responsibility because I can't prove that this issue came up after they changed the heater core. So i don't really know what to to now. Isn't it anything that I self can do to try fix this? :(

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
I went to the person who did the work but he said that they won't take any responsibility because I can't prove that this issue came up after they changed the heater core.
It's not surprising they want to deny all culpability. With that question asked and answered, the next thing to ask would have been if he could think of anything he saw during the job that would be a good clue to help you as you try to troubleshoot the problem. Maybe he remembers seeing an iffy connector or a wire that was getting pinched.

I don't know how the laws work out in your area. Do customers have legal recourse if a shop breaks something while doing work on the car? Do we even know for sure if the repair work caused this problem?

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Since the ESP button is in the radio surround, I would pull the radio, surround and cage out and take a look at the wiring. Then the lower dash panel on the driver's side. You will be able to follow most of the wiring harness from there. Look for a pinched or crushed harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, did you manage to find the problem? i have the exact same symptoms on my car, it all happened after i retrofitted cruisecontrol :/ thinking maybe i knocked a wire out somewhere perhaps?? thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any luck with this? I just had the exact same thing happen to me. Indy shop replaced the heater core and when I got it back it was blowing the fuse in position #5 and tripping the ESP. I took it back and he got the fuse to stop blowing but the ESP light comes on as soon as I go over 3-4 miles an hour. I took out the radio and inspected the wiring going to the switch and the are fine. Switch functions properly when you first start the car before shifting into drive. Crawled under the car and cleaned front speed sensors, still no luck. ABS functions properly and lights are all working. Let me know if you found the remedy.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
With ign on, is there 12V at T6/5 Black/Blue wire on ESP switch ?
If not, check fuse #7.

With ign on and ESP button held in pressed position, is there 12V at T6/6 Black/Green wire and also at T31/31 Black/Green wire on the ABS module ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, I am a new to this forum. I will keep this short.The following problem is new in the history of this car.
I own a 04 passat GLX FWD 2.8, I recently changed both outer CV boots, Lt tie rod end and put different tires on front. No strange wear or defects. Since that, when braking after backing up a strange grinding sound is heard and felt in peddles. When driving forward a short distance the ESP light flashes, all throttle response cuts out until ESP light remains lit and solid. The are no subsequent events like it during the rest of a drive even the grinding on back up is a one time thing. until the car sits for a time and I start off backing up before driving away. Lastly. The car tracks perfectly straight but the steering wheel is rotated left while driving straight. Any thoughts will be helpful thank you!!

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
You probably damaged one of your wheel sensors when you did your axles. A VCDS-Lite scan will tell you which one. You can try cleaning it first (it just press-fits into the bearing upright, you don't even need to put the car up on jackstands) but I expect you'll need a new one.

As far as the steering wheel being off? You need an alignment. (This is necessary after anything to do with the tie rods; it's quite difficult to get it spot-on otherwise.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts