Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the short change it costs and the fact it supposedly cannot be retroinstalled, it sounds well worth it. Has anyone had any experience with it on a 4motion? Is it just something else that could go wrong?
I've read threads where people have used it on their fwd passats, but nothing so far on the 4mo's. TIA for your input!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
If ESP kicks in on 4 motion you are inches from meeting your maker. :LOL:

Honestly though, for $300 it is worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figure rpaller. God forbid it would take some seriously stupid act to really lose it in an AWD, but I have lost control before on a 4WD, fooling around on a snow-covered road. Only panic driving kept me from the ditch. I don't plan on doing that scenario again.
It's hydroplaning that I am thinking about. I guess my question is whether anyone has had problems with theirs, and if this is truly redundant on a 4mo.

·
Registered
104 Posts
tazmo said:
For the short change it costs and the fact it supposedly cannot be retroinstalled, it sounds well worth it. Has anyone had any experience with it on a 4motion? Is it just something else that could go wrong?
I've read threads where people have used it on their fwd passats, but nothing so far on the 4mo's. TIA for your input!
I was going to get it on my passat (which should be ready for pickup next week) but it would have had to be a special order since it doesn't appear they have started bringing over the 4-motion with ESP. At least not in any sort of quantity.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i have it on my Gls and its a stripper model?? i guess the canadian market ones came prepared for the winter :lol: it works well in deep snow tho and is awsome when i your in traffic :thumbup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was just about to post a thread about this. I'm shopping for a 1.8T GLS 4Mo and wanted ESP... but I've been told by several dealers that they're not available in any real quantity yet and would need to be ordered at this point.

With VW offering some great incentives & APR's this month, I might have to ditch ESP.

Can anyone with 4Motion AND ESP chime in... please? :bow: I'm trying to make a decision today or tomorrow regarding this.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey all!

From what I was told by the dealer, it comes budled with the Leather Package. "Bundled" meaning that it shows up as a seperate line on the sticker with an additional cost ($300), but you can't get the Leather Package w/o ESP and vice versa. This is true for the FWD B5.5, not sure about the 4Motion. I think ESP is well worth it... in fact, one of my first posts to this forum was concerning my excitement for this system:

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73049&highlight=abe

Abe

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a Passat V5 4motion Variant 2002, and I recommend you to add ESP!! I love it! It is a big difference on a snowy surface to drive with ESP enabled and then disabled! (Here in Sweden, we really have snow 4-5 month per year)
When you loose your grip it doesn´t matter if your car is FWD or AWD...
but with ESP the car has a good chance of staying on the road! 4motion is great to prevent to get stuck!! The combination makes your driving safer! Why comprimize about safety?

·
Registered
104 Posts
tsinbad said:
I was just about to post a thread about this. I'm shopping for a 1.8T GLS 4Mo and wanted ESP... but I've been told by several dealers that they're not available in any real quantity yet and would need to be ordered at this point.

With VW offering some great incentives & APR's this month, I might have to ditch ESP.

Can anyone with 4Motion AND ESP chime in... please? :bow: I'm trying to make a decision today or tomorrow regarding this.
I'm with you. Didn't want to risk not having the incentives for an option I would probably only use a couple of times a year at most.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I have a 03 4Mo with ESP and it saved my a$$ at 45 MPH on a uphill mountain pass .. went into the corner a little hot when I wasn't used to the car.

I live on a steep hillside ( eg San Fran with lots of snow ) at low speeds going uphill to the house I will shut it down occasionally cuz when it detects slippage it reduces the power and I like to kick it around some of the tighter ( 180 ) corners.

For the money .. * buy it * Up here it was something like $350 and the first scare I had and t saved me was "more" than worth it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you guys can't have mine :p
I'm with the Canadians and Swedes on this one. Kentucky, I don't think so.
I have a Passat V5 4motion Variant 2002
V5? Is that a GLX - 6cyl-?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey tazmo!

Actually, in Kentucky we get more rain every year than Seattle! We get more ice and snow than a lot of cities and states up north. Couple that with the fact that we have many rural roads which we all depend on to get back and forth to our jobs and you have a pretty good reason to pay the (in comparison) tiny amount of money to get ESP.

Why does everyone think that Kentucky has such a great climate? It's honestly one of the things I hate most about this state - we get the worst of both worlds. :D

Abe

·
Registered
750 Posts
2.0GTI said:
i have it on my Gls and its a stripper model?? i guess the canadian market ones came prepared for the winter :lol: it works well in deep snow tho and is awsome when i your in traffic :thumbup:
Stripper model? Is this car marketed to strippers? Gives a new meaning to Pole Position.

abegetchell said:
From what I was told by the dealer, it comes bundled with the Leather Package.
That somehow doesn't surprise me. Wouldn't you know that a feature that I would go the extra mile to find (ESP) would be bundled with a feature that I'd do all I could to avoid (Leather). I'm not a fan of sliding around in my seat, being burned or frozen by seat material, or paying $1500 for something that's probably really worth about $700.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I really like leather interiors, and the quality of the leather VW uses is pretty good as compared to most other cars in it's class, but you're right that it's not worth the $1500 or so which it costs. Break the seats in and use a good conditioner every once in a while and you won't slide around too much - get a five point harness and you'll slide around even less! :lol:

A car in the same class that really stood out to me that had great leather was the Mazda6. I just about bought one of those, but after almost getting into a fist fight with the sales manager after he insulted my wife (DON'T SHOP AT PAUL MILLER MAZDA IN LEXINGTON KENTUCKY), I decided to take my business elsewhere. Bastards.

Abe

·
Registered
827 Posts
rpaller said:
If ESP kicks in on 4 motion you are inches from meeting your maker. :LOL:

Honestly though, for $300 it is worth the peace of mind.
That is an damn true statment..
WIth 4 Mo, its hard to get ESP to kick in (not that i have not had it... Like when i am bored in the student parking lot :wink:)
But when i got stuck in things like snow, and quick turns in heavy rain... You can feel 4 Mo just doing the work..
Its a good option i feel... Its nice to have something in case shit happens..
Ohh, BTW, my friends BMW with ESP (they call it something else but same maker), we always have it kicking in for hard downshifts, pavement changes and etc.. i guess the RWD needs a lot of help..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts