Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be a joke, so come on who has one fitted? own up you know you want to.

Big Electric turbo

Get it off of your chest, we wont laugh at you,,, much :)

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
ummm...that looks like an electric fan. damn cheap one at that. should get close to 4000 FPM velocity , which is around 50 MPH, according to their specs.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
That is the silliest thing I have ever seen!! Well... there was that Tornado thing a while back. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a freaking joke! OK, OK, so let's just say that someone did hook this thing up to their induction system, how long before the engine blows up because of a lack of added fuel to the increased air it would deliver to the cylinders? Theoretically this thing could work. Am I wrong?

Or maybe better yet (and cheaper yet) get a hair dryer and set it to the cool air setting. Have the intake part of the hair dryer sticking up througha hole in your hood so that it wouldn't suck in any of that bad hot engine air. :roll: :lol: and then feed the intake tract with this hair dryer through a "Y" pipe so that you could use that toggle switch idea, "for that added boost." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I think I just wet myself... :nervous: :nervous: :roll: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The thing i worry about is that the same amount of air is being pushed into your engine, no matter what RPM, so you should get more low end bost than needed or wanted, and not enough high end boost. Seems like a good theary, but lacks execution. A program to measure rpms and change fan speed would be good. But free power is always good, but then again a turbo is free, just a little hot, a supercharger is not free. but they get an A for effort

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
WOW, i need to get one, this is like the .............. , speechless really. Anyways, i needed to get a good laugh as well :lol: . The theory behind it is not stupid, but i would love to see it work :p :lol: . Poor poor motor :weirdo: ...Rah.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
I have a small vacuum cleaner that uses a small turbo to produce vaccum the sucker produces so much power, unbelivable.
but it is so loud i think that electric turbo will be too loud.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
cool man, i placed my bid :thumbup: ... :roll: :crazy:

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Blowers like that are usually used for high volume, low pressure applications (like sawdust collectors). While I never took fluid dynamics in college, it is my understanding that if it produced less vaccum pressure (or less volume) than the engine unassisted, it would actually slow down your airflow. Mucking with your vaccum pressure I'm sure does wonders for your brakes and emissions.

Not to mention the fuel delivery problems it would introduce. Your engine would likely run leaner than would be a good idea. (That is of course if it worked at all.)

SirWired

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I'm not buying this thing... no literaly, I'm not going to buy this thing and I think no one else should either. I'm going to watch that item and see if anyone buys that thing. $150? if you order now do you get the dinner knives and juicer free?? :lol: I've got some great swamp land to sell anyone who's interested in that purchase. :puke:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I bought one and installed it on my 1.8 Gallon low flow toilet to give me an extra boost needed for um....larger solids. :puke: :lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
it dosnt even look like theres any moving parts the "things" that look like an impellar blade seem to be attached :thumbdow: :crazy: somone must have had some happy smoke and tried to get mcgyver like :weirdo:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
00Psst said:
I bought one and installed it on my 1.8 Gallon low flow toilet to give me an extra boost needed for um....larger solids. :puke: :lol:
:lol: :lol: Good one. It's actually just like flushing your money down the toilet... finished with a nice sucking sound like the empty space it leaves in your wallet. :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
This thing is more of a supercharger. Superchargers force air into the engine via a belt driven compressor. Turbos are driven using the exhaust. This is neither but I'd say closer to belt driven since the alternator is belt driven.
It might have a chance of working since the fuel delivery in modern cars is a closed loop control system with sensors measuring how much air goes in and the oxygen level in the exhaust. I'd like to hear from someone who's tried it.
Another thing is that it might use more current than your alternator can provide and discharge your battery. Or the extra load on the alternator uses up whatever additional power is generated from the forced air.

So many possiblities....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts