Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EPC Light Woes, Car shuts off........ Need Help please

OK so long story short I am driving my passat to work one day and all of a sudden, it shuts off in the middle of the street.
Only thing I noticed was the flashing EPC light before I came to a full stop. I managed to start up my baby and limp back home after a while. Now, it just shuts off more frequently than I like to talk about.
OK so I finally take it to the volkswagen dealer to get it checked and see about repairs. Unfortunately they are not 100% certain of what could be the issue. :confused:
I am told it could be the ABS module and i have to pay $1200.00 to get that replaced however no one can tell me if that will fix my issue or not. What does the ABS Module got to do with my car shutting off????:confused:

I just got my car home and I am $1000.00 lighter in the pocket :banghead: and it still shut off multiple times before I got home. Luckily it started up after a few minutes each time.

Now that the car is back at my house, its doing the exact same thing all over again, minus the EPC light... it starts up.. and then shuts off a few minutes later -i don't know how the h#!! this didn't happen at the dealership. :confused:
Worst part is the dealer had it for over a week and they claimed they were never able to duplicate the problem.
Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.... im at the end of the rope with this situation... :cry:

Here is a write up of what the dealer did so far.
This is copied verbatim from the bill I received for $1000.00 worth of work that yielded no results.

13979 Checked out and did not verify the concern at this time. The car did not die and the EPC light has not come on. Checked codes and there was a P1624 for MIL on requirement. Checked other systems and the tranny has some communication codes. The code that set is P0600. Code says to test the can bus system and the ECM. Removed the ECM and tested the can bus terminals and on terminal 58 and 60 on the VAG1598/31 breakout box. They are supposed to read between 60 and 72 ohms and it is at 67.8 ohms and okay. Also says to check between 77 and 79 and and they are at 68 ohms and ok at this time. Next it says to connect the vehicle wiring from the ECM to the break out box and check the can bus wires on terminals 58 and 60 and it is supposed to give infinite ohms and it has .825 kilo ohms. Needs further look into the can bus wires for a short. Checked wiring and lifted carpet on the passenger side to access the Transmission control module. Checked for corrosion and there is none. Looks good at this time. Checked to see what modules are communicating the the ECM with can bus and found that the tranny is, the cluster is , the air bag module is, but the ABS will not communicate through can bus. Re installed ECM and TCM and checked coding on the data bus and it is at 4 . Switched to 6 and now the ECM will not communicate with the cluster or the data bus. Switched back to 4 and it does. Still does not communicate through can bus when looked at through value block 125 on the tranny .Believe it needs a new ABS control Module. Priced new ABS module and pulled to the side

After going over these notes, any thoughts, recommendations on what I should do next? DO I really need a new ABS module?
Would the ABS module cause the car to shut off with the blinking EPC light?
Any thoughts or advice????

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,177 Posts
DO I really need a new ABS module?
Would the ABS module cause the car to shut off with the blinking EPC light?
We get plenty of bad ABS modules here, and no one has ever reported it shut off their engine. The classic diagnostic for a bad ABS module is the inability to communicate with it, but I'm guessing that's not your problem.

Take the ABS module out entirely and see what happens. While it's out, if the car runs OK send the module to be rebuilt. MUCH cheaper than a new one.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,538 Posts
We get plenty of bad ABS modules here, and no one has ever reported it shut off their engine. The classic diagnostic for a bad ABS module is the inability to communicate with it, but I'm guessing that's not your problem.

Take the ABS module out entirely and see what happens. While it's out, if the car runs OK send the module to be rebuilt. MUCH cheaper than a new one.
No need to remove the ABS module -- just unplug its big electrical connector.
I did have a bad ABS module cause my local smog test station to be unable to scan my car, even though my trusty VCDS OBD-II dongle and software worked fine. I replaced the ABS module with another used one and passed smog easily, but I probably could have passed smog sooner if I had the sense to unplug my ABS module.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts