Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm in desperate need of guidance. I bought a 2012 vw Passat about 5 months ago with 60k miles and since put on 10,000 miles as I drive a lot. Love the car but a week ago it started spewing power steering fluid everywhere around the reservoir and we concluded that until we could see where it was leaking from to keep driving it and topping off fluid and clean around to see where its leaking. After a few days I took it to a vw dealership and they replaced the supply line and seemed to be fine. Drove car for an hour and saw epc light and engine lost power. Checked my oil and was relatively a dry dip stick so added 2 quarts and saw no leakage of oil. The dealership must not have actually checked all fluids though their receipt says all was good when I left. Made it nearly an hour home and same problem, loss of power. Turned car off, waited a few minutes and restarted and continued towards home. This happened 4 times but I finally made it. By loss of power I mean the car stopped moving and went about a mile an hour though did not stall. At this point the cel was on and once home the codes revealed a throttle position sensor problem. We were about to buy a new sensor when we thought how strange it was for this to happen just as all this fluid was in the engine bay for days and an hour after I picked the car up from being serviced. My stepfather said he picked up the wire harness beneath the steering reservoir and fluid poured out. So he blew away the excess fluid and opened the connector and saw nothing inside as it was dry from the seal. Next day we took it for a spin and no problems for our trip around the block about 6 miles. I went to back up the car after that and epc and cel light came on again and loss of power. We thought maybe there is still some fluid somewhere so we left the hood open all day hoping any fluid would dry up. Drove it today for about 25 miles with no lights on until just now after about 25 miles my confidence is shattered from the epc light again.

Only a few miles from home I hope to get there. Was going to bring the car tomorrow to the dealership again but out of money to have them look at it and not sure I'd make it there to be honest. When it loses power I cant go anywhere though it will continue at about a mile an hour but not good for people behind me and who knows whats wrong with the car. Desperately looking for any ideas as this is my only car and took off last Friday since my car wasn't working but can't keep doing that. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I noticed that every time I start the car with a cold engine the EPC light goes off and only seems to come on after the car warms up such as yesterday after 25 miles. I called the dealer to ask the price on a Throttle Position Sensor since thats what the CEL codes are pointing to, and he surprised me by asking if I want the one in the manifold or the gas pedal. I didn't know there was more than one. The manifold one is $99, the other one is $230+ which comes with the whole pedal. Cancelled my appointment with their repair shop as I can't afford to pay them to diagnose it again and repair it again. I'm screwed. I'm really regretting buying my first VW. I'd have been better off with my 17 year old Subaru at this point....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is the manifold that they are talking about located? I think the problem is from all the power steering fluid that covered everything for a few days until I had the supply line replaced. Exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Taking it back in to the VW dealer to have them diagnose and fix it since this is a little beyond the scope of what me and my step father can do and have time for. Will post in here what the outcome is in case anyone every has similar symptoms. Peace

1 - 4 of 4 Posts