Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna save u the long story here.

2004 passat 1.8t 5-speed.

1st and second gear:Sometimes I could put the gas pedal to the floor and it would take forever to get up to speed. Other times it was fine.

EPC light only came on once after that never seen it again.

I had the car in cruise control on the highway the other day and it died. I still had power. Went to start,it wants to start but something is not letting it. When i turn the key you get the feeling it wants to start but wont. Makes a loud vaccum noise while the key is turned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have a little more info tomorrow. Goin at this solo right now, need someone to start it while i can get under the hood to find out exactly where the vaccum noise is coming from.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Some of the obvious things you can check are...
1) the oil fill tube, the plastic has a tendency to get rock hard and crack at the bottom of the tube where it goes into the engine.
2) the rubber / plastic hoses that are on the drivers side of the engine block under the intake manifold, same deal, they get rock hard and hard and fall apart.
These 2 items will cause a major vacuum leak.

Another thing to check is the rubber ring around the plastic intake tube the connects to the accordion type hose, the rubber ring is a seal between the hard plastic tube and the throttle body.
The accordion type hose itself. sometimes they crack letting air in at the wrong place. This also would more than likely result in a CEL and having MAF codes.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
If I recall correctly, my elder son's 2002 A4 threw this code because of a bad rear O2 sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.