Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys!

I drove my new (to me) 03 Passat V6 (manual transmission) to the gas station the other day. I went inside for a coke and when I came out it wouldn't start. And it hasn't started since (got it towed home). I've done a little reading on potential causes, but thought I'd throw it out here to see if you had a pecking order in terms of what to check. I've unplugged the battery and put it back, and hooked it up to our other car's battery to see if it needed to be charged, but perhaps I didn't leave it charging long enough. All other electrical functions of the car seem to be in proper working order (lights, locks, air conditioning, etc...). Even though the CEL is one of the lights coming up there is non code registered when I attach my vag-com.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on car: Still won't crank. I've checked fuses and they all seem to be in working order. Windows, A/C, Sunroof, lights, etc... all work. I switched out the ignition switch, but that was not the issue. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Have you tried both N and P? It could be the kill switch in the trans shifter.

Or there is some sort of module that can fail that causes a no-crank situation. Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm sure you can find posts on it if you search.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
So when you turn the ignition key to the start position, there is only silence (but dash lights come on)? No click or dimming of lights? If your ignition switch was still accessible, I would probe the connector to see whether you have 12V power to the starter solenoid. As Iowegian mentioned, there are interlocks (such as the clutch switch) in the starter solenoid circuit, that if failed, will prevent the starter motor from running.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
ack! I just noticed it's a manual transmission. So I guess the interlock would be on the clutch pedal...but you get the idea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts