Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving home work the other day when I got a message on the DIC to STOP. I pulled over, shut off the engine, popped the hood. Coolant was spraying out from the bottom of the reservoir tank. Apparently the tank had developed a crack in it. Got it towed home. Bought a new tank and installed it. Filled with coolant, went to start and nothing. It turns over, but that's it. Will not start. I noticed the EPC and Check Engine lights are on when the ignition is in the ON position. Any ideas? It never overheated. By the way she's an 04 Passat 1.8T AWM. Any help would be much appreciated. By the way, no codes were thrown.

· Registered
4,326 Posts
If you suspect the Crank Position Sensor (Engine Speed Sensor), locate the harness connector, disconnect it then clean any coolant residue out of both sides of connector, plug it back into the harness then try cranking again before replacing it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I'm at my wits end. I've replaced the Coolant Tank (OEM - not cheap aftermarket), flushed system, Crankshaft Position and Coolant Temperature Sensors. Cranks but does not start. Hooked it up to Vag-Com and still no codes. But yet the Check Engine Light and EPC lights stay on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· PassatWorld Elder
27,992 Posts
Start with checking all vacuum connections near the intake manifold and coolant tank. It's possible you broke one when the tank was changed.

Also check the fuses, all of them, with at least a test light, if not a multi-meter. After that, check compression, fuel and timing.

The CEL and EPC lights are normal when you leave the ignition on when the car fails to start. Since it has not run, it may not have set the codes needed for diagnosis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.