Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The history, on Sunday while driving, I suddenly saw the EPC and CEL come on for just a second and then disappear. The car stuttered (no power with gas applied) but then returned to normal.

Yesterday, idled at a stop light, the car stalls and dies (with the EPC and CEL light on). I turn it on again, and everything is fine. I intermittently would get the EPC and CEL flash, no power, and then it was running fine.

Going into work today, going 65 on the freeway, I see the lights, then the car goes dead, I see the Stop Oil Pressure message (my guess is the engine is dead so that's why that came on), I coast and park in the shoulder and then call the AAA tow truck to take me to the Fred's Garage in Redwood City.

Reading around, I think it might be the Throttle Body or Speed Sensor, and the Mechanic has yet to get back to me as their main diagnostic person is out. However, I also worry that it might be related to the Wetterauer chip and a loose, bad, cracked solder socket/job, apparently a common occurance. I've had this weird situation that if the Wetterauer chip is installed (since 05), the car runs fine, if I put in the stock chip, I get a CEL. I've been procrastinating resolving it as Wetterauer was in/out of the US market, but now I called Steve's European Automotive just to find out that they've pulled out of the Wetterauer business.

So being as I plan for the worst, and hope for the best (and since the diagnostic person is out for 3 days), who can I go to get this fixed if it's a Wetterauer problem? Do they still have a US presence? If not, any suggestions on who I can have it sent of to in the USA to resolder/resocket the board? I'm prefer locally since I don't have a second car, but working is better than not working. I live in the SJ bay area if people have local recommendations. I've emailed Wetterauer from Chip-Tuning.com but I've previously emailed the same question and they didn't respond so I'm not sure if that's going to be helpful.

Thanks a lot.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts