Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 96 A4 2.8L SOHC. I had my water pump and timing belt replaced last week. the shop that did it only timed the left side pulley and not the right side. They also broke my coil pack and crossed my wires. I went and got new plugs, coil pack for the car. Also had the car re timed. It now has a miss, so I took my car to Autozone to have it code tested today and it threw out 10 codes. the codes that got me was 4, 5, and 6 are misfiring. I have new spark plugs in them and the same wires that were on the car when i got it 3 weeks ago. checked the wires and they are firing the plugs when i have a plug on the wires with it running. So I am assuming that the wires and plugs are good since the plugs are brand new.

What could be causing this and what should I look for???

it is still misfiring. I was told that if the wire is sparking the plug when its pulled and not when it is in the motor then its not firing under conpression and that most likely the wires are bad. I am hopefully getting the new wires tomorrow.

Does this sound correct to any one??

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Being unplugged would be a bad sign. The official test is to see if there is at least 9v between pins 1 and 3 of the harness that goes to the sensor and to check continuity and shorts for the 3 sensor wires. If the voltage and continuity is good, then it's either the sensor or the ECU. Try swapping the sensor and see if the other side misfires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went out and unpluged the sensor and the car just turned over and would not start. Once I pluged it back in it started up but did the same thing that it was doing before. :(
I dont have a volt meter to test the voltage.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
What other codes are you getting?

Also, you mentioned something about them only timing one side. The tool that sets the timing attaches to both cams simultaneously. Not sure how they could have done this. You may want to pul the timing covers. The two diamond shaped plates on the front of the sprockets should always be at the exact same angle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know how they timed it, but they said that they only had to take one cover off to time it. I had a friend that is a mechanic re-time it and it misses on the one side. I am going to start with the wires first I guess.

I dont have all the codes because the auto parts store would not print them out. There were a total of 10 and 4 of the 10 were cyl. 4, 5, and 6 missfire and multiple missfire.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
I would check compression on that side. Sounds like they bent your valves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts