Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very odd - my car has been running really well, however....

Was helping a friend install new windows this evening. Arrived around 6:00 PM. Moved the car (so he could get into his garage around 7:00 PM). At the time the outside temperature was around 90 degrees.

Finished up (around 9:30 PM) and went to my car, starter keeps turning but the engine does not catch - eventually gave up.

There are no CEL lights on, however I did notice that the engine was physically hot, which is weird given that it had been sitting for a couple of hours...

Any ideas ? I hope this isn't going to be expensive. The car has 98900 on the clock.....

Any help is most appreciated...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Did you leave your keys on the ignition?! If so, did you leave anything on?! Maybe the fan of the ac?! My guess is your battery, but I don't think a battery would be drained out like that in 2 hours and a half, unless this hasn't been the first time that this happened with this battery or if the battery is old (do you check the water in your battery?!).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery is actually brand new (6 weeks old), replaced by the dealer.
One other thing I forgot to mention is that when I left the car, I left the windows down a little because it was pretty warm....

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm wondering if you've got a blown fuse or relay that may be connected to fuel pump.

Obviously not the battery if engine cranks but doesn't catch.

I had something very similar happen to me, almost symptomatic of vapor-lock (not sure if it is possible on a VW) I got in one morning and the car kept cranking over and over finally I let it sit for a few minutes and tried it again, then it finally started coughing and caught. Still don't know what happened.

But anyways, try checking for any blown fuses and try giving it a little gas when you turn it over and see if it helps.

Good luck,
-Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crash893 - everything sounds normal, everything turns over except the engine won't fire up...the nattery seems to have plenty of power left in it - I didnt keep cranking for too long...

Does anyone know if it is possible to have vapor lock on an injected engine ?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
i dont think so

sounds like you are either out of gas ( i know what your thinking but some times the gas gages can be off by alot ( there is a jetta recall i think where they break in the F possition))

to bad you dont have a fuel psi gauge

·
Registered
216 Posts
Car Wash Syndrome?
I have heard that running to car for a short time can cause flooding. Like pulling it out of the garage for a wash.

From another post..-

car wash syndrome - (try this - Turn key to ON, push throttle all the way to the floor, turn key to start.) (you could also try this... remove the gas cap, then turn the key while flooring the gas pedal... i don't know if these "tricks" work).

I dont know if this would work but I would pull the spark plugs. Maybe just letting it sit overnight would do it. Good luck

·
Registered
366 Posts
What engine do you have? If V6, sounds a little for the coolant temp sensor is broken.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Does the check engine light come on when you first turn the key to start the car? It should; it indicates the ECU is passing an internal diagnostic. If you are not seeing the CEL at all then you may have an ECU problem.

Aside from that thought I am thinking along the same lines as Chadd, but I didn't think it was possible to flood the car that easily when it was already warm.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great news ! - the car started first time this morning - think it may have been the car wash syndrome thing...

Thanks for all your help guys !!! this forum is a reason enough to own a passat ! :) :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Chadd said:
car wash syndrome - (try this - Turn key to ON, push throttle all the way to the floor, turn key to start.)
I've experienced this 2 or 3 times, moving my car in/out of the garage/driveway. Only when the engine is cold though.
I want to add that when you push the throttle to the floor and crank, it may take 10 seconds to start and it will idle rough for a moment, you may even see some exhaust as the excess fuel burns off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.