Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, it's official, the 475K Passat needs an engine swap.

I found an engine that's in a car already selling for parts. Did a compression test on it, it reads 170-180 psi across all 6 cylinders. (V6 2.8)

Are those good numbers? From what i read already anything above 140 is good. This car has 235,000 km on it.

The car is standard and mine is automatic.

Are there any challenges installing this in my car from car that is standard? I imagine there is no difference with the engine but want to be 100% there's nothing extra I need.

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know that one had to install an adapter for the pilot bearing when doing an automatic to manual swap. Not sure how the reverse applies.

Why not swap engine and transmission?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that one had to install an adapter for the pilot bearing when doing an automatic to manual swap. Not sure how the reverse applies.

Why not swap engine and transmission?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
He actually bought the car for a parts car and wants the manual transmission to put in his car. He also has an automatic. Thanks for the info I'll have to look into it further!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I'm assuming your a 2.8 V6 engine currently (no info on your profile).

I've pulled out more than a dozen V6's. There for a wile I was doing just because I could.
What you are wanting to do I did with my 1998 GLS daily driver. V6 AHA code with 5sp manual FWD. (the difference being mine was manual trans)

You'll have to provide all accurate information, year model, engine code and transmission for what you're driving, and all the some info for what you're using as a replacement.
If the engine codes are different (AHA to ATQ) or (ATQ to AHA) certain swaps will have to be made
There is a crankshaft adapter that comes into play here with an automatic transmission.
Also, the throttle valve body is different from an automatic vs manual trans on the AHA code engines.

You'll have to post up all the info from both engines, before an exact list of requirements can be given.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
AndreasPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing