Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired an 04 wager, given to me. I have been fixing things as I find them and hope to have on road soon. My question is that on a test run last night I get smell of engine compartment in car. This rig was abused by previous owner and there are lots of missing plastic parts, the entire weather strip and plastic cover across back where battery goes was in back of wagon. I re-installed that stuff and noticed the cabin air filter (I assume that’s what it is, on passenger side) has no cover other than the piece that goes across back, should there be one? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
The early model Passat's had a cover directly over the cabin filter.
It's my assumption that the 2001-2005 models do not. Just the batter tray cover that spans the width of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, will find out more after I get it on the road legally today. Maybe it will go away. Thanks

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,741 Posts
Correct, no cover on the B5.5 cabin filter. The plenum cover takes care of that. The B5 model did not have that plenum cover.

Take care of any oil leaks and clean up the engine bay; the smell should be lessened or resolved after that. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have the activated charcoal version of the filter if you feel so inclined. It can reduce the potency of odors in the incoming "fresh" air.

·
Registered
26,826 Posts
If you set it to recirc, it will not draw air in from the cowl. You may have some odor still intrude as the air flap under teh filter had a foam seal. The rubber strip over the 2nd firewall is not a perfect seal, so engine smells will often get into the HVAC system.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn’t to bad on my first real test drive tonight, can live with it. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I bought my 1.8t passat, it had a strong engine smell when stopped at lights. I pretty much had to replace the whole PCV system as it was cracked or broken. This rectified most of that problem. I now only get the smell when the car is parked, engine off, and the HVAC is blowing air, probably due to an oil seepage onto hot metal parts problem.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know there are some oil leaks at valve cover considering the spark plug holes were half full of oil. Nothing on ground. Lots of people post about PVC issues, maybe make it my next project. Thank you.

·
Registered
26,826 Posts
If you have the GLX, it resets to fresh air on every start, even with the system off. You would have to turn the system on, hit recirc and then shut it off. I hated it when I drove my son's GLX. I keep mine on recirc and usually drive with the right 2 windows down 2-6" in warm weather. Of course, that's why the headliner is so bad on mine.
I do like the climatronic on the Tiguan. It can be coded to keep it in recirc all of the time.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I was driving it today I was trying to just shut off everything like my Jetta which is just a matter of hitting I believe its the button with circle on it. But of course with all the electronic crap its not that easy. Don’t need climate control switching between heat and A/C all the time. PZ, was reading another thread that you talked about it, believe you said turn up fan then switch to recirculate then turn fan off. Will try it.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,431 Posts
I was getting intermittent strong burning oil smells, resulting from a leaky valve cover gasket. Replacing that and the coolant temperature sensor flange (yes, I had the usual oil and coolant leaks) cleaned things up nicely. It also provided a look into the top end of the engine -- very clean, thanks to Mobil 1 0W-40 and the oversize Purolator L40316 oil filter on a tight oil change interval.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have oil in various places on engine, need to clean it up to figure out exactly where it’s coming from. Did have oil in spark plug wells, cleaned out and snugged up fasteners on valve covers, just checked when I changed plug wires yesterday and dry so far. Smell seems to be less the more I drive it. This poor car was abused by person that gave it to me, trying to fix things as I go. Don’t dare to guess what the oil change schedule was before I got it, first thing I did was change all 5 fluids and filters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do have oil in various places on engine, need to clean it up to figure out exactly where it’s coming from. Did have oil in spark plug wells, cleaned out and snugged up fasteners on valve covers, just checked when I changed plug wires yesterday and dry so far. Smell seems to be less the more I drive it. This poor car was abused by person that gave it to me, trying to fix things as I go. Don’t dare to guess what the oil change schedule was before I got it, first thing I did was change all 5 fluids and filters.
I feel your pain and I have the same challenges in my 03’ V6 GLX. I got the oil leak figured out to a broken bolt on the pan. This one I have to use my dremel to cut a slice in to and take out with a screwdriver 🤞. Next is the antifreeze leak. Ugh I hate those but prob do a pressure test or something on it and force the leak to tell me where it is. These cars are a love/hate relationship. That’s why I got two!

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At this point, one Passat is more than enough. Good luck with your bolt extraction. I don’t have oil leaking on ground, hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I feel your pain and I have the same challenges in my 03’ V6 GLX. I got the oil leak figured out to a broken bolt on the pan. This one I have to use my dremel to cut a slice in to and take out with a screwdriver 🤞. Next is the antifreeze leak. Ugh I hate those but prob do a pressure test or something on it and force the leak to tell me where it is. These cars are a love/hate relationship. That’s why I got two!
Broken Bolt Extractors. I have the IRWIN ones. Saved my ass more than once working on my truck that has lived its entire 16 years in VT.

DO you have a coolant on the ground? That will help chase down the leaks.
I just spent a whole bunch of time getting all my leaks on my '02 v6 GLX wagon figured out.
Now I am tackling a b6 a4 avant! (the coolant leak was easy in this one, broken reservoir)

·
Registered
99 Posts
If it's a V6 and you've had oil in the spark plugs, then your rubber seals are hardened. That goes the same for the cam seals at the rear of the heads. They leak oil into the exhaust and it gets into the cabin.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems a little better since driving every day now. I have been keeping on recirculate most of the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts