Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering where to get an engine shut off timer because i know that for proper turbo cooling the engine needs to idle for 5 or so min after a while of driving and i drive about an hr to work and dont wanna sit with my car while it runs so any ideas

· Registered
1,772 Posts
Well, it's called a Turbo Timer.

Water cooled turbo setups (anything recent) only need up to 2 minutes of cooldown time, and that's only after running hard. If you don't hit boost much, you really don't need to "turbo time". Just ride the last few minutes of the drive lightly, and that essentially cools the turbo.
Turbo timer kits are found everywhere though, its all in the wiring. Search up on where to get one.

· Registered
668 Posts
Turbo timers are pointless unless you drive the car hard, slam on the brakes and shut the car off. Any normal driving or short idle is going to be enough to allow the turbo too cool down. Even at the drag strip I would just shut the car off by the time I got back to the pits and belive me it didn't take 5 minutes to do that.

BTW driving an hr doesn't mean anything since your not driving that whole hr at WOT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.