Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Engine Serial number for oil filter? Anyone?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MDVdub10 
#1 ·
For the 96 passat vr6 I have been reading that there are different serial numbers for a couple differenet oil filters... Well I am wondering if anyone can tell me where to find a webiste or place that I can give my Engine Serial number to find out which oil filter I need...

Serial- AAA 174 312

This is all I have. Does anyone know anything about this? Or am I lost in the world of VW..

ps Thanks!

#3 ·
If I'm understanding correctly you're looking for a search engine where you can plug in your engine info and get a list of all the different brands of oil filters that fit (if this isn't it then stop reading). Right now a specific search like that doesn't exist aside from just going on a big box store's website and searching for your car's make and model.

Otherwise you can just go to each brand's website, plug in your info, and it'll spit out what you need. Hope this helps, and if not, all the filters hu vw linked to are solid choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.