Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like someone has been driving my new to me Passat for a long time without the belly splash guard. The lower engine block has become somewhat rusty and ugly. Nothing serious, and nowhere nearly as bad as my old explorer was.

( I do intend on getting a splash guard if/when I can find one)

Any ideas on a good way to stop it?

I was thinking some of this: https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/high-heat

But I wasn't sure if it would actually seal the rust out and prevent it from spreading.

I was also considering hitting it with a wire brush on an air tool in with the above, but it would be pretty bad if I jeopardized its structural integrity.

I'll have the engine pulled anyways, this is a side project.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I'd go with paint made specifically for engines once you get the rust off. (I can imagine a wire brush or sandblaster would work; with either option, make sure all openings and electronics are well sealed off!) That product you linked to is designed for intermittent heat loads (like a grill), not the long, frequent stretches a car suffers.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The block will never rust through in your lifetime :eek:)

Any paint will need a clean, oil free surface to stick. Brush off the loose rust, then spray with brake cleaner....then start the paint process. I'd consider a brush to avoid too much hassle of overspray. Drips will not be visible, so have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.