Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a college student with a 2000 1.8T passat with around 100k miles on it. well i have a whirling noise from the fromof my car. The exhaust manifold glows near the turbo,( i think) and has discoloration. I also am pretty sure i have a bad vavle cover gasket. and a bad water pump. Should i still go on my road trip and btw i have never had the timing belt done.
I will include some pics and vids with sudio of the noise at the following link

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/magicmakings/2000 VW Passat/WornBelt.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/magicmakings/2000 VW Passat/Valvegasket.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/magicmakings/2000 VW Passat/Oildepositsfromofengine.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/magicmakings/2000 VW Passat/Exhast.jpg
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/magicmakings/2000 VW Passat/?action=view&current=Car1.flv

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Get the damn car fixed.
Do the TB ASAP. It should have been done 30k ago. When it goes (and it will, soon), it will basically take the engine with it. Repair or replacement costs are well over $3k.
The Passat does not take well to any maintence neglect. Without attanetion, you won't have a functional car very soon.
Please, if you think takinga road trip in this condition is a good idea, sell it and buy a Toyota Camry. European cars, by thier nature, need someone to take care of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Question

I dont have much money and need the car and can fix almost anything is this sometihng i casn do myself by something i mean everything in the picturesa and movie

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Replacing teh water pump is part of the TB job (along with tensioner, thermostat, pulley, etc)
It requires removing the bumper and is probably ~10hrs as a first time job. BTW, if teh bad WP seizes up it will breka the TB.
Note that if the TB goes, you will need to take it to a real garage unless you are really good. When the TB goes it will take teh valves with it. Many people just buy a used engine to give you an idea of how biga deal it is.
Dunno about the rest off hand, 1.8T's not really my thing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Diagnostics

Are there any tell tale signs that there is a problem with the timing belt, turbo, wastegate actuator, water pump. I really dont wanna have to pay to have the diagnostocs done and autozone said they didnt have the scanner so they could scan my car (I dont belive that but)? I dont mind working with engines its the computer part ofit i hate me and coimputers dont mix

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Replacing teh water pump is part of the TB job (along with tensioner, thermostat, pulley, etc)
It requires removing the bumper and is probably ~10hrs as a first time job. BTW, if teh bad WP seizes up it will breka the TB.
Note that if the TB goes, you will need to take it to a real garage unless you are really good. When the TB goes it will take teh valves with it. Many people just buy a used engine to give you an idea of how biga deal it is.
Dunno about the rest off hand, 1.8T's not really my thing

Not true about the waterpump seizing on the 1.8 its not driven by the same belt.

To start with, just do the TB, there are a couple of writeups here on the board in the infromation forum. Or bring it to a mechanic. It will cost you about 300 in parts to do it you self, or about 600-1000 for parts and the mechanic to do it.

After that, then look at you turbo issue(which they may not be one). You can search the board on how to find out of the wastegate actuator is bad.

There are not signs of the TB breaking. It breaks, and you are screwed so you need to replace it before it breaks. Unless you have a light on the dash, scanning the computer is not necessary.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
If you'vebeen driving hard the glowing is normal. The dark stuff on it, however i snot. maybe its oil?

The whiring sound was hard to hear, it could be a loose belt.

Regardless you need to get the TB, WP and tensioner, and all else associated with it replaced. If you do your own work on your car, and know how to take the fron tend apart to get to the TB, and have a garage to do it in then go for it. However, I get the feeling with the questions your asking that you may get in over your head if you havent done it before.

The worn belt doesnt show clearly in the first picture.

I would not suggest driving around until you get this stuff fixed. Use a friends car for the road trip or get a rental.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Are there any tell tale signs that there is a problem with the timing belt, turbo, wastegate actuator, water pump. I really dont wanna have to pay to have the diagnostocs done and autozone said they didnt have the scanner so they could scan my car (I dont belive that but)? I dont mind working with engines its the computer part ofit i hate me and coimputers dont mix
If your engine light isn't on, a scan won't tell you much. The timing belt MUST be done NOW regardless. Failure WILL destroy the engine. Change the belt, tensioner, roller, and idler wheel. You may also want to change the main and cam seals. It requires more tools, but if one goes, you'll need to pull everything off again. Consider buying the parts at blauparts.com and you can rent a set of tools from them. Water pump is optional for your year. You'll have to pull the front end off to do it later, but if it works now, you can wait.

Looks like a pretty good leak in the vc gasket. Are you getting any dripping on the exhaust? Engine fires suck. If you change the gasket, be sure to change the gasket and seal under the chain tensioner.

About the noise, hard to say. Is it louder at the front of the engine or the back?

·
Registered
57 Posts
noise

yes definatly louder in the front, it sounds like u know the a/c compressor sorta like a chugging a/c compressor but the AC in the car si off I did notice the car is very hard to strat if the ac or ac fan is on so i just crack the windows now but yeah?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Now I feel stupid a rental? yea good ideas
Well, sorry I'm not a master mechanic there kiddo. I just thought I would throw out a few ideas, I'm sorry they weren't helpful. The rental idea was for your road trip. Your car clearly isn't in good shape for a road trip.

Sorry we aren't all geniuses that can diagnose your car and fix it for you.

Try being a little less of a dick next time. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The viscous coupling on th fan may be bad. It has to come off for the TB job anyway, so changing it is easy then. Spin it when the engine is off and cold. It shouldn't spin easily. It also shouldn't have any wiggle front to back.

The engine type is stamped on a boss under the engine cover, near the front drivers side.

·
Registered
57 Posts
lost

Ok now i am lost when did i come off as a dick and if i did i am sorry but i have no idea what parts are where so yeah but anyway thanks for all the help they all have been helpful i will c if i can get a discount from my mechanic um VW of westlake owes me fee labor do i take it there?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fun Times

Well i had to tell me dad that the car "should be taken in for a timing belt replacement because it has 104600 miles on it and TBs only last around 105000" His response "shut up, dont be unapreciative ur lucky i let u drive the car, so stop complaining about it the cars fine" u know it is his car but i dont wanna be stuck somewhere when the car blows up. any advice here would be great!? Pleas and thank you

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
its preventative maintenance, and i think thats all anyone can say right now to you. yea its alot of money and people tend to change there TB around 60K with 1.8T engine, and i guess you can say your lucky that you have gone this long without it snapping or the tensioner giving out. if you tb snaps you are going to be paying alot more money to get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts