Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I am an old hand VW guy, but new to the Passat world. I just purchased a 2003 Passat wagon with the 1.8T and a manual transmission. When I am upshifting under heavier acceleration, I notice that the RPM's will continue to climb by about 200-300RPM as I lift off the accelerator and declutch. Is this normal? Someone on the VW vortex board told me that it is a normal occurrence due to the drive by wire technology. Is this true? Can this be tuned to avoid this issue? Is it worth worrying about? Will this cause abnormal clutch wear (eg. speed shifting effect)? If this is normal, what is the normal shifting procedure for this car? It is just counter to every other car I have driven.

Thanks,
Mike D.

·
Registered
613 Posts
there really isnt much you can do because the lag for lack of a better term in the dbw system. You could let off the gas earlier, but thats about it.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I was going to say it's caused by inverse turbo lag, but I guess in a drive-by-wire car the ECU will do whatever it damn well sees fit. Probably it serves to keep from choking the engine, and also to avoid that annoying jerk that the cable-throttle cars get when their butterfly valves get dirty.

Is it really just lag, Alex? Is the response time on VW's drive-by-wire system really that shitty?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts