Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 B5.5 Volkwagen Passat GLX
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd put this out here. I'm doing an engine&transmission out on my Passat, if anyone needs photos for reference or anything, let me know and I can take some. Putting everything back together next week. I know some older post's photos have gone missing. Engine is being rebuilt, transmission is being cleaned and prepared for a fluid service. I should mention I have the 01V ZF 5 Speed tip tranny

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I expect you are aware that the car must be level and the engine running while topping up the ATF.
Yes! Since my fluid has never been changed, I'm going to drain out a quart and put in a quart while it is out of the car, so theoretically it should be fine without the proper procedure. Slowly getting all new fluid in there without disrupting the mix of material in the trans oil. I don't like to be too crazy with high milage auto transmissions ;)

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Since it's going to be out, pull the torque convertor off and replace the front pump seal. Drain everything out of the trans that you can, including the TC. Follow the refill procedure as you can not rely on the trans already having the correct amount of fluid in it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it's a simply remove and press in place item. I don't know the part number.
Just got the replacement seal in, any recommendations on pullers for it? I'm having a hell of a time trying to take it out, but I don't have many tools that'll fit between the shaft and the seal wall

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
I used a cheap puller like this for years until I bought a bigger one. On small seals I would punch a hole in them with a finishing nail, insert a screw and pull them out:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts