Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I need help to further diagnose this ongoing problem.
1) error code + small evap leak.engine light on permanently, gas cap light comes on sporadically (stays on for 30 seconds every 24-36 hours).
2) changed the purge solenoid
3) reset al lights and erased codes
4) engine light came back on, gas cap light comes on sporadically (stays on for 30 seconds every 24-36 hours).
5) changed the gas cap
6) erased codes again and engine light came back on, gas cap light comes on sporadically (stays on for 30 seconds every 24-36 hours).

7) whats the next item to look at?

**** I do know that on 3 or 4 occasions since the car was new , I overfilled the gas at refueling past the first shut off at the pump. I have seen on this site that this is not recommended. I viewed that doing so may in fact harm the "charcoal canister". Lately after refueling the car is hard to start. the engine turns over but takes 15 seconds to start. I have mimicked this problem stopping the car, removing the gas cap and resetting the cap and the car starts fine. this problem seemingly is only exists when actually fueling the car.

Input?Thanks

Gordo

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
I wasn't aware of the 'gas cap light' but never the less, a small evap leak means the fuel system leaks somewhere, and that can be a number of places. But a small evap leak won't make the car hard to start, and overfilling shouldn't either unless the purge valve is stuck open- and that would be a large leak.

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
(GRIN) When my gas cap light comes on, I replace the gas cap. (once on each Passat) That's always solved it. Happened last week, in fact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
agreed. Although I have changed the purge valve, I am going to circle back and recheck it as ALL indications point to it.thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a 2015 Passat 1.8 TSI. 109k kilometers.Auto. Is there a way to check the canister to verify if its functioning correctly? Appreciate the assistance,

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,607 Posts
Well, that would make it a B7 passat. 10 years newer than the newest B5.5. Moving this to the correct forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts